Saturday, March 30, 2019

Saturday, March 30th: Deuteronomy 13:1-15:23; Luke 8:40-9:6; Psalm 71:1-24; Proverbs 12:5-7 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Deuteronomy 13:1-15:23; Luke 8:40-9:6; Psalm 71:1-24; Proverbs 12:5-7 

I appreciated the insight from my devotional book on today's passage.....


Deuteronomy 15:16-17
16 “But suppose your servant says, ‘I will not leave you,’ because he loves you and your family, and he has done well with you. 17 In that case, take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door. After that, he will be your servant for life. And do the same for your female servants.

When Paul, James, Peter and John introduce themselves at the beginning of their letters in the New Testament, they do so by referring to the status found here in Deuteronomy.  They have willingly chosen to be the servant's of Jesus for life. 

From the devotional....
A bond-servant is not just a slave, but a slave who has willingly committed himself to serve a master he loves and respects even after he has been given the freedom to go. This kind of slavery is chosen, not imposed; it's the result of freedom, not compulsion.

My Lord and Master, I realize that you are not forcing me into slavery. Becoming your bond-servant is my choice. And my choice is made. I want to relinquish my independence, surrender my will, and declare my loyalty to you.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage:  Deuteronomy 16:1-17:20, Luke 9:7-27, Psalm 72:1-20, Proverbs 12:8-9

No comments: