Monday, January 9, 2017

Monday, January 9th: Genesis 23-24; Mathew 7 ~ Kezia

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Genesis 23-24, Matthew 7

Hello! I'm Kezia and I'm 17 (almost 18!!) years old. I decided to read the bible in a year this year because of a mission trip to Mexico I went on this past summer. I grew a lot in my relationship with God on the trip and it made me really interested in reading more of His word.

In the Old Testament readings for today I found it was shown very clearly the power of prayer. Abraham's servant prayed specifically for a wife for Isaac and he had a long list of must haves that this wife needed to have (verse 14). God heard his prayer and answered his prayer before he had even finished praying. The first girl Abraham's servant interacted with was the girl he was looking for. I love knowing that God is always listening to our prayers.

The first part of New Testiment reading really stuck out to me, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" (verse 3) It's very easy to get caught up in judging others when we need to remember that we ourselves are not perfect. There will never be an end to finding imperfections in others and we will run ourselves dry if we continue to judge. The only true Judge is Jesus, he is and will be the only perfect person, the only one who has authority to judge.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Genesis 25-26, Mathew 8:1-17

4 comments:

Jody said...

A verse that really stood out to me from today's reading is Matthew 7:15 "15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves". There are so many Christian leaders teaching love without truth today that come to mind with this passage. They seem soft and harmless like sheep but because they are not actually teaching truth, the damage is as ferocious as wolves. It reminds me to always go back to the Word to seek truth, not just blindly follow leaders that make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Nathan said...

Good point Jody, we need to read the Bible ourselves and read about the truth which is Jesus, and not follow anyone or anything blindly

Miriam said...

Good point, Jody, my thoughts were along a similar line when I read those verses.

I am reading from the NASB this year and I liked the wording of the Golden Rule in this translation.

"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you..."

I always try to keep this in mind, although I know I don't always succeed.

Tammy said...

Thanks for joining us Kezia!!

I was encouraged by the power of prayer as well as by Abraham's servant's using the power of prayer. So often we make decisions relying on our own wisdom when we should be asking God for His! A challenge to remember to pray about everything.