Friday, January 13, 2017

Friday, January 13th: Genesis 31-32; Matthew 9:18-38 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Genesis 31-32; Matthew 9:18-38 

Sometimes I find reading the account in Genesis frustrating.  It's like these people never learn!  Lying, betrayal, pride, women bartering over their shared husband, an entire family sneaking away, thoughtless words, the list goes on and on.

But this week I had the thought, possibly for the first time...... if my life was summarized in a couple pages of the Bible, and some of my worst thoughts and actions were written down for everyone to see, would I come across any better?  Likely not. Sure, the list of sins would be different, but there would be sin aplenty to choose from.

I am a sinner.  You are a sinner.  Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were all sinners.  Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel, and Leah were all sinners.  The list goes on and on, and includes every single human that ever lived.

Except Jesus.

He lived a perfect, sinless life so that He could redeem us - a sinful people with no hope of redeeming ourselves, no hope of restoring our broken relationship with God (and with each other!).  And, as we see in our NT passage today, He began that restorative work during His short 3 year ministry on earth. He healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, speech to the mute, and life to the dead.  At least, temporarily.  For now.

But with His death and resurrection He demonstrated His utter power over the sin that infects us all, and His victory over death that will, instead of being the end that we sometimes falsely perceive it to be, usher us into the beginning of an eternity more spectacular then we can even imagine.  Where we will be eternally healed of every illness, see with perfect vision, speak with redeemed speech, and where we live and never die.



Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageGenesis 33-35; Matthew 10:1-20

2 comments:

Jody said...

I had a good chuckle as I was imagining all of those people and animals "sneaking" away. I had a similar thought as you Tammy, judging their sin and then doing a self check. One thing that stood out for me is Jacob going back to and repeating God's promise "Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper". It was a great reminder to stay in close relationship with God so I clearly hear His instruction and claim his promises! And then keep repeating those promises, not to remind God, but to remind myself when I doubt or become scared. I can't imagine how scared Jacob was as he was fleeing straight into the arms of Esau - on purpose!!

Helen said...

Very thankful for His saving grace!