Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Tuesday, May 29: Ecclesiastes 7-9, Romans 6 ~ Danae


Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Ecclesiastes 7-9, Romans 6


Romans 6:17-18
But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. You have been set free from sin & have become slaves to righteousness.

In these verses, 2 words really stick out to me - wholeheartedly & slaves

Wholeheartedly-
>are we living wholeheartedly for Christ, with all our “heart, soul & mind,” or are we only giving him a small part of ourselves (maybe only a small part when it’s convenient for us...)
>do we choose to obey when it’s easy or do we obey all teachings

Slaves-
>when I think of a slave I imagine someone being controlled by someone, forced to follow, to have lost the freedom to do as they please
>while God gives us a choice to follow, I like this image of being a slave to righteousness
>we are no longer a slave to sin; we can have victory over it through Jesus
>we become a slave to righteousness; we become filled with Jesus &, through his perfection, we have a desire to please him, to serve him without question, to leave our old desires behind - as though we have lost our own desires because we want so badly to please him

Lord, help me to serve you wholeheartedly, to leave every part of my old self behind & become a slave to righteousness. I pray that, in everything I do, I would let go & follow you. To obey, not only when it’s easy, but knowing that you will use it to complete a good work in me.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageEcclesiastes 10-12, Romans 7

No comments: