Monday, May 21, 2018

Monday, May 21: Proverbs 28-29, Acts 27- by Pamela

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Proverbs 28-29, Acts 27

Scripture:  Proverbs 29: 17
Discipline your son, and he will give you rest;
    he will give delight to your heart.


Observation: You can have peace when you know you've done as best as you can.

Application: As my kids have been out adventuring (currently I have a daughter in Bible college in Australia and a daughter serving with Mennonite Disaster Service in South Dakota) people have remarked to me that I shouldn't have done such a good job raising them to be so independent. It's funny, but also so true. To discipline means to disciple: to teach or to train. When we teach and train our children as they are growing up, we are working towards raising up our children to love God, find His purpose for their lives, and obey His calling. Through this, it become easy to "rest" and "delight" in them as you watch them pursue God's plan for their lives. It doesn't mean I don't worry about them but it does mean that I can rest assured that God loves them even more than I do and that His is taking care of them. To watch my children grow to serve is a delight to my heart. 

Prayer: Creator God, You have given us as parents the most enormous job to disciple our children in the way they should go. Lord, for those in the trenches of training with young children, give them strength to keep going in this difficult task. For those approaching the end of their job as trainer, remind them of Your faithfulness to complete the job in their children. May there be delight in their hearts as they see how You are directing the steps of Your children. Amen.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageProverbs 30-31, Acts 28

No comments: