Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tuesday, February 10th: Isaiah 47-49 Mark 12:1-27 ~ Nathan

The portion of this reading in Isaiah that stands out to me,  and sums up a lot of what we read in Isaiah,  is found in chapter 48 verses 17-19. This is where God tells the Israelites what good things would have happened to them if only they had obeyed. God is a patient God,  but enough was enough. He goes on in verses 20-21 to give an example of his patience in rescuing Jacob.

In the New Testament portion of our reading we see the wisdom of Jesus in three different stories. In the first Jesus tells the Jewish leaders,  through a parable,  what their future will be if they keep on doubting that Jesus is God's son.

In the second and third stories,  we read how first the Jewish leaders and then the Sadducees, try to make Jesus stumble,  by asking him trick questions. Jesus shows his wisdom by answering them both, in ways that the questioners didn't expect. When put under pressure by humans, Jesus calmly shows his superiority.  It must have been awesome to have been a follower of Jesus at that time,  and witnessed this level of wisdom in person, on a daily basis.

3 comments:

Conrad said...

Isaiah 48:17-18 stood out for me too. All too often I know what God wants me to do, it just may not be what I want.

From the knowledge we have gained we raise our kids in a way that directs them for their benefit. How much more true is that of our Heavenly Father with us ? In order to experience peace like that of a river, I need to pay more attention to His commands and less attention to my desires. A great reminder!

Pamela said...

Sometimes it's hard to understand the law makers and the laws that seem to be in direct opposition to God...abortion, euthanasia, same sex marriage, etc. etc. When I read:

Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.” And they marveled at him.

It sort of made me think about God's wisdom in all things, even politics. I believe that the bible says that we need to obey the laws set out by the law makers but we also need to be confident that what we choose to do under those laws are in accordance with scripture.

Tammy said...

This verse stood out to me as well...
v10.You felt secure in your wickedness,
you said, “No one sees me”;
your wisdom and your knowledge led you astray,
and you said in your heart,
“I am, and there is no one besides me.”

How easy it is for sin to blind us so completely that we truly thing we are invincible and will not be held accountable for our actions. But the truth is that God sees everything, He will not be mocked, and He will hold us all accountable - and if we have not put on the blood of Jesus as a cover for our sins, that will be a fearsome day indeed.