Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday, February 9th: Isaiah 45-46, Mark 11:19-33 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Isaiah 45-46; Mark 11:19-33

While reading the Isaiah passage, I found myself pulling out words and phrases that describe God's ability and characteristics.  In chapter 45, these are the phrases or characteristics that stood out for me:

I will go before you (vs 2)
I will level the mountains (vs 2)
I will break down gates (vs 2)
cut through bars (vs 2)
I will give you treasures (vs 3)
I call you by name (vs 3)
I will strengthen you (vs 5)
creator (vs 7, 12, 18)
saviour (vs 21)
there is no other (vs 21)

The descriptions continue on in chapter 46.  Only now it shifts to describing earthly gods:

burdensome, dead weight (vs 1)
made by man (vs 6)
has to be carried (vs 7)
does not move (vs 7)
does not answer (vs 7)
cannot save (vs 7)

along with more God qualities:

carries us (vs 3)
sustainer (vs 4)
rescuer (vs 4)
not comparable to anyone (vs 5)
makes known the end from the beginning (vs 10)
purposeful (vs 11)

The characteristics of an earthly god reminded me of the trophies I won as a child.  These trophies sat on a shelf while I was growing up, now they sit in a box.  The only use they may serve today, is as a gag gift to someone because of their gaudiness (no pun intended) at Christmas time.  It is interesting that people will put there faith in something that is made by man.  As I was reading this passage, I was reminded that there truly is nothing that our God cannot do!

"Therefore  I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mark 11:24)

How often do I pray for something without believing in my heart that it can be done?  Why do I question God's ability?  Why would I ask for something I didn't think I would ever receive?  This is a God who is all powerful, all knowing, who wants to give us everything we need.  We just have to ask, but most of all believe.



  Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Isaiah 47-49; Mark 12:1-27

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Great post!

This stood out for me:

“Remember this and stand firm,
recall it to mind, you transgressors,
remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me,
declaring the end from the beginning
and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

We need to remember the ways God has demonstrated His faithfulness and His love in the past and remember that God is, and was, and will be the same always and forever.

Tammy said...

Love the contrast between God`s character and the futility of false gods. It seems to weird to us today for people to worship man-made idols, and yet it is so easy to us to do the same thing, but with invisible gods such as materialism, power, money, sex, etc.

There is only one God and there is no other!

I think my struggle with prayer is that I know God is fully capable to answer, I just don`t know if it`s His will. I know that He will do whatever will give Him most glory, but we don`t always know what that is. We just need to continue to pray, and trust.