Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesday, November 2 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Jeremiah 31-32, Hebrews 8


1 “At that time,” declares the LORD, “I will be the God of all the clans of Israel, and they will be my people.”
 2 This is what the LORD says:
   “The people who survive the sword
   will find favor in the desert;
   I will come to give rest to Israel.”
 3 The LORD appeared to us in the past,[a] saying:
   “I have loved you with an everlasting love;
   I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
4 I will build you up again
   and you will be rebuilt, O Virgin Israel.
Again you will take up your tambourines
   and go out to dance with the joyful.
5 Again you will plant vineyards
   on the hills of Samaria;
the farmers will plant them
   and enjoy their fruit.
6 There will be a day when watchmen cry out
   on the hills of Ephraim,
‘Come, let us go up to Zion,
   to the LORD our God.’”


Doesn't this speak volumes about God?  Here the city has not yet fallen, the people have not yet been taken captive and God is already telling them of their salvation.

All throughout Jeremiah the people have been hearing about the desolation and destruction that was going to happen to their city and people.  They had heard about how they had erred and that sure punishment was coming.  And now that the judgement is being meted out God reassures them of His love for them.  He reassures them that this is not the end.  He tells them that they will once again know happiness and freedom.  I  imagine this is sort of like the parent that is punishing their child all while saying "I do this because I love you."  My parents pulled that one on me and I can remembering thinking that they must be smoking something because their punishment did not smack of love.  No way.  But as children or as a people, we are not fortunate enough to see the end result of our ways.  God is.

God brought controlled destruction to them before their ways would bring utter annihilation to them.

But even in the midst of the very attacks God foretold He speaks of peace.

This is what the LORD says:
   “The people who survive the sword
   will find favor in the desert;
   I will come to give rest to Israel.”
This is beautiful to me.  I find such comfort and peace here.  We all encounter tough stuff in our lives.  I'm not saying those tough things are judgements for wrong doings, but for whatever reason God promises favor in the desert.  I've had my fair share of deserts.  They aren't fun places to be.  But they strengthen us, they bear witness to what we are capable of but didn't know it.  They cause us to call out to God for help.  They cause us to be desperate.  They make us see our weaknesses.  They show us our needs.  And those things put us exactly where God wants us; like mold-able clay.  Ready, willing and able to take on the changes He wants us to make.  And after He favors us with His loving touch, He allows us to rest.  Much like bread dough.  We beat it around for a while so that it will be conducive to rising and then we let it rest.  Without that beating and without the resting you don't have very good bread.  Trust me, I know.  But both of those, done well and not too much, will give you wonderful bread that everyone enjoys.

He knows what He's doing, although we can't always see it.  But we just have to trust Him.  


 Tomorrow's passage: Jeremiah 33, Jeremiah 21, Hebrews 9

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Great post Kathryn. And there are more verses near the end of chapter 32 that give this same message of hope and peace - beautiful.

I think it's also pretty cool that our Hebrews passage (v8-12) directly quotes our Jeremiah passage (31:31-34). I like what my Life Application Bible says here....

"This passage is a quotation of Jeremiah 31:31-34, which compares the new covenant with the old. The old covenant was teh covenant of law between God and Israel. The new and better way is the covenant of grace - Christ's offer to forgive our sins and bring us to God through his sacrificial death. This covenant is new in extent - it goes beyond Israel and Judah to include all the Gentile nations. It is new in application because it is written on our hearts and in our minds. It offers a new way to forgiveness, not through animal sacrifice but through faith."

Miriam said...

Thanks, Kathryn! I really like the bread dough analogy. :)