Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday, November 28 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Ezekiel 33-34, 1 Peter 5

Happy Monday Everyone!

Scripture: 1 Peter 5:1-5
1 To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ’s sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble.”[a]

Observation
What strikes me in these passages is some specific words around attitude and behaviour. I'll copy the scripture here again, with these words highlighted.
1 To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ’s sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble.”[a]


Application
I know that we are supposed to read scripture in context, but with these verses, what if I take the highlighted words out and look at them pieced together? What kind of application does that give us?

"Shepherds, serving because you are willing, not greedy but eager to serve. Being examples, submissive to those who are older with humility toward one another".

Big shoes to fill. Straightforward instruction on our actions as believers, growing in spiritual maturity. Putting others first, and humbling ourselves to each other.

Prayer
God, give me your grace to be humble. Give me a servants heart to see the needs around me and take action to help. I ask you God to help me be a willing servant who never acts out of greed, but always out of love. Giving of my time, my heart, and my finances that I might be an example to everyone around me. Amen

Tomorrow's passage:   Ezekiel 35-36, 2 Peter 1

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Pretty much all things that most of us need to work on at some time or another. Eagerness to serve and humility are especially hard for me at times. Thanks for the reminder!

Tammy said...

An eagerness to serve, but not an eagerness to let everyone know you're serving - that is the key! Thanks Jody.