Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday, November 10 ~ Miriam

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is 2 Chronicles 36; Daniel 1-2; Titus 1.

I'm going to be pretty quick today.  The story in Daniel always makes me marvel at how great Daniel and his friends' faith must have been.  They were scheduled to die for the deficiencies of the king's astrologers and "wise men".  Daniel asked his friends to pray, I'm sure he prayed himself, and God revealed not only the meaning of the dream, but the dream itself.  I believe this was so that Daniel could point out to the king that it was only by the one true God that mysteries are revealed, as he says to the king when he goes to tell him about his dream.  The message was that the kingdom will go slowly downhill with Nebuchadnezzer's successors and then be destroyed altogether; yet, as we'll learn tomorrow, the king kinda missed the point.  Instead of being humbled, he thinks "Hey, I'm the gold head!  I'm awesome!  I deserve my own huge statue so the people can worship the wonderful, glorious ME!"  Anyway, that's beside the point.  Daniel and his friends believed, they had faith, they prayed, and "...there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries."  They got a "yes" to their request.

Moving on, it sounds like Titus has a pretty tough job to do on Crete.  He is to appoint elders in every town, but not just anyone will do.  There are specific criteria that must be met for someone to be an elder.  Just as Titus needed to take care whom he appointed to lead the people of Crete, we must take care whom we elect to be leaders and decision-makers in our churches.

Then, he also has other factions to deal with who are muddying the waters with false teachings and deception.  This doesn't sound fun at all!  I would not want to be left with his job.  Choose the elders, but not just anyone, and on top of that, make sure they know the truth and are capable of standing firm against those who are trying to deceive the people.  Whew!  I guess no one said doing God's work is easy!

Well, that's all I've got for today.  Told you it would be quick!

Happy Thursday!

 Tomorrow's passage:  Daniel 3-4; Titus 2.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

One thing I don't think I've noticed before about the king's dream is how it also foretells the birth of Jesus and the everlasting Kingdom of God.