Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Job 8-10, Matthew 9:1-17.

Haven't we all been there? Beaten down by life and circumstances? Feeling forsaken and wretched to the world? Despising being pitied, irritated that we are looked down upon. Disgusted and almost helpless at the state of things. Crying out in woe and wondering just where God is? Aching in our very being. Eyes red and sore from crying. Wretched wretched wretched. Haven't we all been there? That's the feeling I get from reading Job. Oh this poor poor man! His soul is caving in, imploding within. It's the kind of pain and hurt that makes your chest ache. Job has been through so much and to make matters worse, his friends suggest that all of this is his fault!

4 If your sons have sinned against Him,
He has cast them away for their transgression.

5 If you would earnestly seek God
And make your supplication to the Almighty,

6 If you were pure and upright,
Surely now He would awake for you,
And prosper your rightful dwelling place.

7 Though your beginning was small,
Yet your latter end would increase abundantly.

As if to say we have complete control over our lot in life. While we do reap the consequences of poor decisions and those of others, we must realize in our dealings with others that sometimes life just aint fair!

And I believe Job is completely justified in is reaction to God. He is simply saying 'What is going on?!' He can't understand why God, who made him, would treat him like this. I wonder if Job is afraid of more bad things happening?

8 ‘Your hands have made me and fashioned me,
An intricate unity;
Yet You would destroy me.

9 Remember, I pray, that You have made me like clay.
And will You turn me into dust again?

With all that's happened, what's more to come? It's a legitimate question. Please Lord, don't send anything more to me! Don't give me anymore than I can handle.

However, death would be welcome to him, anything less than death, though, would be more salt on an already gaping wound. Even still, though, as we read yesterday, he believes God will make him whole, either way. Job 5:18 For He bruises, but He binds up; He wounds, but His hands make whole.  


In all of Job I see an honest, human reaction to tragedy.  Disbelief, hopelessness, despair, frustration and grief.  And a waffling between what we KNOW to be true, how we have already experienced God's provision, love and care; and seeing the situation before us.  Life is a weighing of knowledge.  Knowledge of how God provided in the past and our limited knowledge of the situation at hand.  Each time my reaction is the same, why, woe is me, and what are you going to do now?  Why can't I just believe?


Father God, we live darkly, blindly.  We are so limited.  But You are so vast!  Your knowledge is so astounding, we cannot grasp it.  Oh Lord, we pray Job's prayer, remember that You have made us like clay.  Please do not lay more on us than what we can handle.  Sometimes life is overwhelming and we question You.  We wonder what in the world You are doing??  And it hurts, because we feel forgotten by our Creator.  And Lord we know that You don't forget us, like scripture says how can a nursing mother forget her child?  But Lord it FEELS that way.  Forgive us for when we forget about You and all You've done for us in the past.  Father help us to remember when You rescued, when You spoke on our behalf, when You moved.  Ah Lord I think more than anything else we need Your help remembering You and Your provision.  So Lord I'm asking for good remembrance.  Help us to remember.  Amen.  

Tomorrow's passage: Job 11-13, Matthew 9:18-38

4 comments:

tammi said...

I am gradually learning to choose faith over fear, wisdom over worry, and foundational truths over feelings. It's so much easier to go the opposite route, but in my experience, that leads to fear and doubt, then self-pity, and ultimately ends up wallowing in bitterness and/or depression. But it is a deliberate CHOICE for me to NOT head that direction. I am definitely swimming AGAINST the current during those times!!

I'm reminded of an old song that used to be really popular (in the 70's!) ~

And I thank God for the lighthouse,
I owe my life to Him.
For Jesus is the lighthouse
And from the rocks of sin;
He has shone a light around me
That I could clearly see,
If it wasn't for the lighthouse
Tell me where would this ship be?


Sometimes I feel like there isn't even a life preserver to hang onto, but in those times, that solitary ray of Light has still been enough.

Miriam said...

Thank you, Kathryn. A great reminder that while it isn't wrong to have those human emotions, like doubt, fear, sadness, or despair, it is wrong to allow those things to keep us from remembering and believing in the promises God has made to us in the Bible - especially to be with us always.

Faith over fear, wisdom over worry, foundational truths over feelings. Tammi, I like that.

Tammy said...

Great post Kathryn. And remembering what God has done - for us, for people we know, or in the past for those who have gone before us - what a great way to combat the "Why"'s and turn it into "How" and "What". How do You want me to get through this God. What do you want me to learn. How can I glorify You despite this, because of this trial?

Pamela said...

Great post. I agree with you that Job was just wondering what in the world was going on. I know I would have been. I am sure that Job's friends were also just curious about what Job could have done to deserve such a harsh punishment. They were certainly not afraid to voice this either!