Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday, Jan 21 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Job 32-33, Matthew 14:1-21.

I want to touch very briefly today on a phrase or two in Matthew and then focus on Job, because again, I find a direct relationship between these OT and NT passages.

Look at the transitional verses between the account of John the Baptist's death and the feeding of the five thousand.  Matthew says when Jesus heard the news, He wanted to be alone.  He withdrew by boat to a solitary place, most likely to grieve.  But what happens in that solitary place?  Literally thousands of people come to Him, expecting Him to heal their physical wounds and ailments and to offer them words of hope.  Jesus has just lost a friend, the messenger sent by His Father to announce His earthly ministry.  We don't know how much time they spent together other than Jesus' baptism, but I think it's safe to say John was important to Jesus, and He wants to mourn.

But instead He's surrounded by needy people, clamouring for His attention, expecting words of comfort and hope.  Jesus' day is not going according to plan, at least not according to what looks like the plan or what the disciples may have thought the logical plan was.  But notice how Jesus responds:  "When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick."  Jesus always has time for the crowds, it seems.  He always makes time to show His love, to minister to the needs of others, even in times when, humanly, all He probably wanted was to be left alone for a while.

Obviously, Jesus offers here the perfect example of the outward manifestation of an appropriate response to personal suffering:  to selflessly continue to serve regardless of how we feel, seeking always to be a blessing to others.  And this is, of course, how we tie into the reading from Job, which also focuses on having a correct response to suffering.  Because here in young Elihu's speech we find a clue to the heart-attitude necessary to produce this kind of outward response.

I always find it interesting that we always hear talk of  "Job and his three friends," when clearly a fourth friend was present.  I like this guy, Elihu.  I like how he holds his tongue out of respect for the three older men, but finally can hold it no longer.  I love the statement: "Behold, my belly is like wine that has no vent; like new wineskins ready to burst.  I must speak, that I may find relief; I must open my lips and answer."!

Man, I KNOW that feeling!!!  What I haven't learned quite as well is to hold my tongue and allow people to finish speaking before I chime in.  Or, for that matter, to speak from wisdom rather than feelings and opinions.  I like Elihu.  I wish we knew more about him.  I think he's a great model of respect ~ honouring age and life experience before he breaks out his own wisdom, which, incidentally, appears to be greater than the wisdom of the other three.  Elihu has a better understanding of God and how He operates than the others, and he opens up his lecture pointing out that the other three have nothing on Job and yet they keep arguing that all this calamity is somehow his fault.  He's obviously disgusted with their theology, and so he tells them to be quiet and let him talk for a while.

But what I really want to draw your attention to is what I feel is a pretty key point in his counsel (at least in this section of his lecture ~ he makes a few others later!).  Check out 33:27, where he describes a person who's been restored after suffering, who then admits, "I sinned, and perverted what was right, but I did not get what I deserved. He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I will live to enjoy the light."

How often we forget that God, in His great mercy, doesn't give us the punishment we really deserve!  I constantly have to remind myself that when I doubt God's care for me because things aren't going my way, I sin, and that the just punishment for ANY sin is hell.  Thank God we never get what we really deserve!!!  I believe it is in adopting this perspective that we can be thankful in spite of ~ and even FOR ~ our trials; how James can tell us to "count it all joy."

And that joy is where that heart of service comes from that we talked about in the beginning; the heart-attitude that compels us to minister to others in spite of our sometimes overwhelming-feeling circumstances.  The gratitude that overflows from that joy is what makes God look really good in our suffering.








Tomorrow's passages: Job 34-35 and Matthew 14:22-36.

11 comments:

Technonana said...

Great insights!! n girlfriend we r so alike, being able yo hold my tongue is often difficult!
We say 'bite your tongue til your nose bleeds!'
I too have often wondered about this young friend. There is much to be learned from his wisdom. Most often this kind of wisdom comes from trying circumstances(test)of which you nor I am a stranger.
Praying for u as you walk thru these difficult days, n knowing that HE WILL get you thru it!!

Miriam said...

Great post, Tammi. I noticed that verse in Job as well; in fact, I re-read it. I also noticed that Jesus went to be alone and got the exact opposite of what he wanted. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been as gracious in that situation as he was. I would've been telling them (at least internally) to come back later. I'm weary and sad and I don't want to do this right now. A good reminder that our focus more often needs to be outward than inward. Not that we should run ourselves into the ground... there are times where we should take some downtime.

tammi said...

I agree, but I think we need to be careful what we call 'down time' though. So often, that becomes an excuse to be self-centered and self-indulgent. Society tells us we owe ourselves all sorts of pampering. But when Jesus needed to "recharge" and went off to be by Himself, it was never retail therapy or a day at the spa ~ it was for time alone with His Father. I think we seldom believe that will actually be enough and rely instead on ME TIME.

Dana said...

That same passage in Matthew stuck out to me. Jesus is FULL of compassion. It is a great reminder for me to put others first. Sometimes I take much more alone time than I really need, and often that alone time doesn't involve spending enough time with God.

Miriam said...

You're right, Tammi, we do need to be careful about what we call downtime. There are many who buy into the pampering "I deserve this" ME-time. For me, downtime could be taking a nap, having a bath, watching a movie, or reading a book. A little breather. Things I rarely have time to do these days. To a certain extent those are selfish pursuits, it's true, and yet it can't always be all work and no play. Spending time with God is important and is definitely a good way to spend some quiet time, but there's also a time for some plain old recreation.

Wendy said...

Good insight, Tammi. I'm so glad we can receive God's grace instead of "what we deserve."

Pamela said...

Great insights. I struggle with "down" time and it is very much about what I want to do and not about putting others first like I should.

Tammy said...

Great post Tammi. This was the first time I noticed the background story to the feeding of the 5000 miracle as well. Amazing!

And incredible how it links right back to Job.

tammi said...

I really think that if we are serving as God wants us to serve ~ fully spending ourselves willingly for the sake of others ~ that God will supply our physical and emotional needs even if we don't get the kind of rejuvenation time we think we need or deserve.

Unfortunately, I've never been willing to step out in faith and test that out.

Jody said...

Great insight and very humbling. When I am busy, overtired, over-extended and full of my own problems, I am blind to the needs of those around me. I do tend to think I deserve the time to myself to re-charge! Very good post!!

Unknown said...

I like this thread . . . the other day the girls in my Bible study were talking about "me-time" and how we need to care for ourselves and recharge our batteries so we can properly care for those around us. I was interested in the different opinions as to what that self-care should look like . . . mostly it was recreational (bath, pleasure reading, shopping). I do think recreational me-time is great, but I got this strong sense that if I have time for nothing else my me-time should really be God-time. He is fully capable of recharging my batteries, even if I don't have time to sit down some days. For me this is still only head-knowledge . . . I by no means choose God over my favourite TV show every time I want to unwind, even when I know I should . . . but that is something I would like to change.