Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8 -Pamela

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Genesis 20-22 and Matthew 6:19-34

There was so much to think about in today's reading. We learn about the birth of the son that the three visitors foretold in yesterday's passage. I can only imagine the surprise and the joy that Sarah must have felt thinking she would never experience motherhood and then the reality of a pregnant belly and a newborn in her arms. I imagine that Abraham would have experienced the same surprise and joy. Yet when God called him to sacrifice Isaac (his only son), he did not ask why-he simply obeyed. Abraham had the audacity to ask God why when it concerned 10 righteous people in a city and yet he does not question God during this. I wonder if this also illustrates Abraham's close relationship with God?? Maybe Abraham had moved beyond the place where he felt comfortable in questioning God to a point where he felt absolute confidence in Him. I also wonder about Isaac's thoughts during this ordeal. I don't imagine he was all to keen about going off on an adventure again with his dad after this! I admire Abraham's heart for God and his desire to withhold nothing from God-not even a son he had longed for and been promised. I know there are things in my life that I am withholding from God and not giving Him. How I spend my time is a big one. I find many other things to occupy it besides reading my bible, doing my devotions, and prayer. This fits in perfectly with the verses in Matthew 6:19-21

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

How I spend my time, or how I attempt to place value on material or superficial things, do affect my thoughts and actions. I like the Message version of this verse too.

19-21"Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.

"It's obvious, isn't it?" So. True. What do you treasure? Is it drawing you closer to God or pulling you from him?

Finally, this verse is easier to quote to others than believe yourself. Matthew 29:34
34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
or
34"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. (The Message)

When I was struggling last Spring with the reality that my dream job was coming to an end, I had many people tell me not to worry and that God would work something out. It's hard not to worry. It's hard not to be concerned about the future. It's hard not to save tomorrow's troubles for tomorrow. Yet, God commands us to do just that. Easier said than done.

Dear Lord,
You are an awesome God. We often fall short of your perfect plan, we doubt your sovereignty and sometimes try to do things on our own accord. That never turns out well. Thank you for giving us great examples of how to give you everything. Give us the desire to be like Abraham-to hold back nothing. Help us to focus on Your will in our use of time, our possessions, and our desires. May we be reminded of your provisions today and not be concerned about what we may need in the future. Lord, I lift up all of the contributors and followers of this blog and that each one would grow closer to you over this year. I thank you for Tammy and her dedication to the study of Your word and helping others to as well. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: Job 1-2 and Matthew 7

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Isn't it amazing - the connections between what we're reading in the OT and what we're reading in the NT?

I marvel at Abraham's ability to simply trust God. Trust that God would be faithful to His promise of numerous descendants, somehow, even through this incomprehensible request to sacrifice his only son.

A parallel also to God's love for us in sacrificing His only Son that we might live.

I still do not like this story. I still do not understand why God would ask Abraham to do something He clearly detested - child sacrifice. It's seems like such a huge contradiction that I can't wrap my head around.

tammi said...

I am always amazed at the relationship God had with certain humans ~ Abraham and Moses most notably. It struck me, too, that Abraham doesn't question God here and yet seemed to seriously question God's plan with regards to Sodom and Gomorrah. I know we aren't privy to Abraham's thoughts, but surely He must have been in prayer all that night, begging God to require something else of him instead of his precious son. But when morning comes, he's resigned himself to simply trust God's earlier promises regarding the life of Isaac and his descendants.

I have those times, too, when I know God is asking me to give something up (so far, never one of my children though!), and even when it's something that's really of little consequence, I fight and try to offer God something else instead. But He wants to own us wholly and completely, and that includes the things that are dear to us. If we aren't willing to offer Him things like our Internet time (hypothetically speaking, of course!), can we really be trusted to sacrifice our lives for Him if and when push comes to shove?

Miriam said...

I had similar thoughts during the reading today as well. I find it just incredible that Abraham could go along with that request right up to the point of picking up the knife. I can't imagine being willing to do such a thing. Also, it makes me a little ashamed to think of how often I waver in my belief that God will provide our needs, and yet Abraham's response to Isaac's questions was that God would provide the sacrifice, and He did so. I like that they named that place The Lord Will Provide.

Kathryn said...

I had so many thoughts about todays reading. I like that the bible does not paint people in a good light, but rather just tells it like it is. Abraham does the same sin again! And what floors me is that Sarah gets rebuked and Abraham gets rewarded! What's with that?! It's interesting that God keeps Abimelech from sinning. Hmmm. Especially important since this seems to be the only time that Sarah is fertile in her life. Wouldn't that be a stinker if we didn't know if Isaac was Abraham's or Abimelechs? Thank the Lord we do!
Abraham had asked Sarah to do this for him from the beginning of the journey. He is essentially asking his wife to lie for him. I wonder what I'd do if my husband asked me to lie for him. I hope he won't, because that puts me in precarious place between my husband and my Lord.
I also found it interesting that the journey to this intended sacrifice took three days. Three LONG days, I'm sure. Three days to think, pray, maybe even try to make a deal with God. But in the end, I believe it was three days to think about the promise the Lord had given to Abraham. Three days to remember and believe and set his heart on the Lord's promises. So scary, and such faith! Poor Isaac, I'm sure it didn't take him three days to figure something was amiss. Have you ever wondered if you were someone's Isaac? Have you ever been someone's Isaac? Scary.

Tammy said...

Interesting about the 3 long days - just like the 3 long days Jonah spent in the belly of the whale, and the 3 long days between Jesus death and resurrection!