Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tuesday, May 11 - Miriam

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Psalm 39-41, 53, 55 & 58. 

I apologize for my lateness.  Yesterday was a busy day around here so I decided I'd do it first thing this morning, but when I read the passages I had a hard time settling on what I wanted to post about.  So here's what I've decided to comment on.

Scripture:

Psalm 40:1-5 -
I waited patiently for the LORD;

he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

Observation:

Psalm 53 from today's reading, as well as other psalms, talk about how evil, corrupt and sinful we are as human beings.  The verses above (to me) talk about what God does for us when we turn away from our sinful human nature and ask him to be Lord in our hearts and our minds. 

Application:

He lifts us out of the slimy pit, sets our feet on a rock, and puts a new song in our mouths.  And he is the only one who can do that.  We can't get out of the pit ourselves and there is no rock but him on which our feet can stand firm.  Our new song, our hymn of praise, will be seen by those around us and "many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."  That is something I pray for often.  Because I spent a number of years following my own path, my witness to some of the people around me has been diminished.  I can't now turn around and start preaching at them.  My prayer is that my words and actions in day-to-day life will show a difference and that seeds will be planted. 

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, we thank you for saving us.  We praise you as the only firm foundation on which we can stand.  We pray that you would help us to understand and to seek you, learn more about you, and to follow your will all the days of our lives.  Father, give us a true and honest desire for these things, and give us understanding of your Word as we study it, so that as we follow your will those around us will see someone with your love flowing from them and not someone sanctimonious or hypocritical.  We thank you that you make all things perfect in your time.  Give us patience to wait on you.  In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

Tomorrow's reading is Psalm 61, 62 and 64-67.

3 comments:

Mrs.Oz said...

that is such a great passage to highlight. thanks.

Miriam said...

By the way, I asked for prayer way back in March for my sister and her premature baby. I'm thrilled to say that he is doing SO well that he's coming home TODAY!!!! If he were still "in the oven" he would be 35 weeks along. Many preemie babies stay in the hospital longer, until closer to the actual due date, but he's about 5 lbs now and taking all his feedings by bottle, so he's going home and just has to go in for check-ups once a week.

Thank you so much for your prayers. God is good!

Tammy said...

That's wonderful Miriam!!