Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 12th

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Psalm 61, 62 and 64-67

John Piper sermons on Psalm 67 are Let the Nations Be Glad and Let All the Peoples Praise Thee.

Scripture
My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalm 62:1-2

Observation
God is our salvation, our rock and fortress.

Application
God made our salvation possible by sending His one and only Son (John 3:16) to earth to die in our place as a perfect sacrifice, atoning for all our sins, mercifully offering reconciliation and relationship between us and our Creator. All we have to do is accept it. Salvation come through Jesus and Jesus alone. There is no other way to heaven. (John 14:6)

God is our rock. Nothing in this life is stable, nothing in this life is unchanging - except God. Our circumstances may change, our emotions may change, our relationships may change, our jobs may change - but God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is all-powerful, He is sovereign, He is omniscient - He is our rock.

God is our fortress. When others hurt us, we can turn to God. When we are rocked by our circumstances, we can turn to God. When we put our trust in God and find rest in Him, He is our fortress and nothing can shake us. This does not mean nothing will ever harm us - but it does mean that He will be with us through it all, every step of the way.

Prayer
Dear God, I am so thankful for the merciful offering of your one and only Son Jesus, to die in my place so that I could have a relationship with You. I thank you that you are unchanging and that we can utterly trust you in everything. Thank you that you will never leave us or forsake us. Thank you that we can find shelter underneath your wings. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: Psalm 68-70, 86 and 101

1 comment:

Miriam said...

The hymn "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less" keeps coming to my mind as I read these passages that refer to God as our Rock.

"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"
by Edward Mote, 1797-1874
1. My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

3. His oath, His covenant, and blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When every earthly prop gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found,
Clothed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

Hymn #370
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: 1 Timothy 1:1
Author: Edward Mote, c. 1834, cento
Composer: John Stainer, 1873, arr.
Tune: "Magdalen"