Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3rd

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 1 Chronicles 23:1-25:31

This passage reminds me, once again, that our God is a God of order, not chaos.

From my Life Application Study Bible...

The temple servcie was highly structured, but this did not hinder the Spirit of God. Rather, it provided an orderly context for worship. (Compare 1 Corinthians 14:40) sometimes we feel that planning and structure are unspiritual activities that may hinder spontaneity in worship. But order and structure can free us to respond to God. Order brings glory to God as we experience the joy, freedom, and calm that comes when we have wisely prepared in advance.

I find this to be true of life in general. When I am organized and things are planned and running smoothly - not only do I enjoy the day more, but I am more prepared to be spontaneous! It sounds like it should be an oxymoron, but it's actually true.

And worship is no different. When things are organized - both by structurally preparing for the service, and by preparing our hearts spiritually for worship - it gives room for the Spirit to move. The less clutter you have to deal with the better!

Tomorrow's passage: 1 Chronicles 26-28

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I love organization! And I find I'm getting more and more uptight about it as I get older. I have to watch myself that I don't drive my family crazy with "put everything in its place!"

I've seen a couple of episodes of "Hoarders: Buried Alive" - I know these people have emotional issues, but I still just cannot understand how things can get to that extreme.