Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 25 - Miriam

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 2 Chron. 8:1-18; 1 Kings 9:15 - 10:13; 2 Chron. 9:1-12; 1 Kings 10:14-29; 2 Chron. 9:13-28; and 2 Chronicles 1:14-17.  For less flipping - 1 Kings 9:15 - 10:29 and 2 Chron. 8:1 - 9:28; 2 Chron. 1:14-17.

One reads or hears it alluded to occasionally about King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba having had an affair, or having been married, or having had a son together.  I've never done any research about it, as it has little relevance for me, but I was interested upon seeing that her visit was included in today's passage, to see what it said about this in the Bible.  It was a rather dry account, actually - of some interest, but not overly illuminating.  I did a little Googling and it seems that the Bible and the Qu'ran (or Koran) both have similar accounts about the meeting of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.  It would seem that the main source of the "rumours" (if you want to call them that thousands of years later) is the Ethiopian account, which claims that the son of Solomon and the Queen of Sheba founded a royal dynasty that ruled over Ethiopia for 2900+ years (reference from Wikipedia; other internet sources).  A little sketchy, in my opinion, but apparently they have a detailed account of the relationship. 

Regardless of all that, it would seem obvious that they did, in fact, meet and converse together.  I would assume that her visit was a lengthy one, given the fact that best estimates put the journey from where she lived to Jerusalem at 6 months travel by camel each way.  One doesn't travel on a camel for six months, stay for a week, and then leave again for another 6-month trek. 

The thing that stood out to me was the verse that said "Solomon answered all her questions; nothing was too hard for him to explain to her."  In the little bit of reading I did about her, it says that not only did she rule her kingdom, which was reputedly large, although what exactly it encompassed is a matter of some debate, but she was also interested in astronomy and philosophy.  It would indicate that she was an intelligent woman.  I also read that at the time riddles were a common thing for people to engage in, whether as game-play or a passtime, or for purposes of determining someone's knowledge or ignorance, or maybe all of the above.  Some of the accounts I read mentioned her asking him not only all types of questions, but many riddles as well.  And he was able to answer all her questions.  I am DREADFUL at riddles, and I can't even answer all of my boys' questions, and they are 3 and 5!  Now some of that is because I can't explain something to them in a way they are currently capable of comprehending, but sometimes, I just don't know.  It seems obvious that King Solomon definitely was blessed or gifted with considerably more knowledge and wisdom than the common man.  When God gives a gift, he gives abundantly!

Tomorrow's reading is 1 Kings 4:1-34; Psalm 72 and Psalm 127.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Very interesting stuff. I've heard of the Ethiopian theory before too. I'm sure it would be interesting research. But, you're right, the biblical account certainly doesn't give any indication they were ever intimate, though I supposed it doesn't rule it out either. However, the Bible does not gloss over sin, so you'd think it would've been mentioned if it had happened.

Incredible wisdom, that's for sure!

Miriam said...

There was some other "legend of Solomon" material I came across that I skimmed briefly - basically the Freemasons claim that King Solomon was the very first Freemason and he started their order (or whatever it's called) and that he could converse with birds and animals, as well as control genies and spirits and have them do his bidding, supposedly explaining how some of the incredible structures of his kingdom were built. Interesting reading, but not particularly relevant to our studies.