Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tuesday, January 22nd: Genesis 44:1-45:28; Matthew 14:13-36; Psalm 18:37-50; Proverbs 4:11-13 ~ Jeannine

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Genesis 44:1-45:28; Matthew 14:13-36; Psalm 18:37-50; Proverbs 4:11-13

The story of Jesus (and Peter) walking on the water has always been one of my favorite stories. Maybe because I love being out in the boat on the lake and can just imagine what an experience it would have been to be out in the boat and see Jesus walking on the water coming towards you. And then to be Peter and have the courage to ask to walk on the water too!

Would I have the courage to step out and walk on that water? I imagine that it would be a bit easier if Jesus was physically out there waiting for me. But when the wind and waves pick up and you take your eyes off of Him, you start to lose focus on who it is you are walking toward.

How often in our walk towards heaven don't we lose focus when the winds of life start blowing over us? I know it's happened to me too often and I'm sure I look like Peter as he starts to sink and says, "Lord, save me!"

Lord, help us to maintain our focus on you. Regardless of what life throws at us, or what trials we face, help us to keep our eyes fixed on you and eternity. When we lose our focus we slowly start to sink, sometimes so far in that our hair even gets wet, but when we lift our eyes back up to you, you reach down and pull us up. Thank you so much for your patience and your saving grace.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Genesis 46:1-47:31; Matthew 15:1-28; Psalm 19:1-14; Proverbs 4:14-19

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Always an excellent reminder to keep our eyes on Jesus instead of the storms raging around us, and to call on Him when our faith is weak.