Friday, September 22, 2017

Friday, September 22nd: Ecclesiastes 10-12; 2 Galatians 1 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Ecclesiastes 10-12; Galatians 1

A few verses that stood out while reading:

Whoever digs a pit may fall into it; whoever breaks through a wall may be bitten by a snake.  Ecclesiastes 10:8

How often have I been a part of, or watched on TV, a sports team acting too confident or cocky, and then loosing badly the next game.  This verse is a good reminder to not play with fire; a trap that I may be setting for someone else might catch me.  

So then, banish anxiety from your heart and cast off the troubles of your body, for youth and vigor are meaningless.  Ecclesiastes 11:10

Youth and vigor are meaningless.  This is a hard one for me.  I don't think or feel that I am old, until I play sports with our 16 year old son.  Each year I find myself getting a little slower on my feet.....somehow the football is not as fast or accurate out of my throwing hand.....and I have a lot more aches and pains than I ever used to.  And then I come across the verse below...   
Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.  Ecclesiastes 12:13

My duty isn't to always be physically stronger than my kids.  It's to lead them by example and show them that it is more important to fear God and to keep His commands.  Without that, everything else ultimately is meaningless.

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.  
Galatians 1:10

Where do I seek approval?  From my employer?  My customer?  My neighbor?  My friends?  My family?  My prayer is that I would seek approval from Christ, who knows and sees everything about me......not just what I want Him to see.  
    
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Song of Solomon 1-3; Galatians 2

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Good point, and something to keep in mind, that we should seek approval from Jesus and not worry about approval from others