Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Tuesday, July 25th: Psalm 37-39; Acts 26 ~ Jody

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Psalm 37-39; Acts 26

Psalm 37:7-9
Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
    when they carry out their wicked schemes
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For those who are evil will be destroyed,
but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
Sometimes it's hard to wait on God and trust His plan and His timing. This is especially true in times of struggling when it seems like non-believers are soaring through life "successfully". This Psalm reminded me that hope in the Lord is not in vain. He is the ultimate "success plan"!

I love how the first sentence directs to to be still before the Lord. I always find myself thinking I need to do more, take action, make plans - but here He is saying to Be Still!! It really is when we sit before the Lord in stillness that we hear Him best - and find His strength to trust and wait. Easier said than done!!

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage:Psalm 40-42; Acts 27:1-26

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Good point, I too feel like I need to always take action and be on the move. Here we read to "Be still", meaning to me - to wait for the Lord. Doing what's right, for Him, in the meantime, and waiting and watching for Him to direct us.

Conrad said...

Definitely not easy to wait, especially living in an instant society. Good point.

Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. - Psalm 37:4

This verse stood out to me as a reminder to keep my desires in check. Are my desires being fulfilled? And more importantly, am I taking delight in the Lord?

Tammy said...

It is hard to wait patiently for God to work!

I love how Paul continues to be granted audiences with the most powerful men of the land, and uses every opportunity to share the gospel with them.