Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Tuesday, May 16: 2 Kings 24-25, John 5:1-24 ~ Jody

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: 2 Kings 24-25; John 5:1-24

I found this post talking about the healing of the man at the well. The author spells out some observations about the man that I found to be interesting:

  • Old. If the life expectancy in those days was maybe 35, and if this man had been afflicted during his childhood, he might have been 40 or 50 by this time -- an old man (5:5). 
  • Dependent. He probably relies on others to bring him, take him home, and support him (5:7). If he couldn't take care of himself well, he was probably dirty and smelly too -- a smelly old man.
  • Complainer. He complains about how long he's been an invalid. He complains that he doesn't have anyone to help him into the pool (5:5, 7)
  • Blamer. When confronted by the Jews for carrying his pallet on the Sabbath he blames the person who told him to carry it (5:10-13).
  • Sinner (5:14), serious enough for Jesus to confront him in the temple.
  • Ungrateful and disloyal. When he learns Jesus' name, he reports it to the religious leaders. He "tattles" on Jesus rather than being thankful for his healing and loyal to his healer (5:15).
  • Unrepentant (5:14-15). There's no indication that he accepted and acted on Jesus' rebuke about his sin; rather John tells us that he reports Jesus to the authorities.

  • So many stories of healing in the Bible show strong belief and trust that Jesus could do what the person was asking. This example shows us that a man completely selfish and sinful (like me) who doesn't deserve it (like me) still receives it. Because Grace. God's Grace. Beautiful, hopeful and convicting.

    What are the things that God has done for me that I have been ungrateful for, or disobedient in?


    Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage:1 Chronicles 1-3; John 5:25-47

    2 comments:

    Nathan said...

    A lesson from this storey that I need to be thankful for all God has done, and continues to do for me, and then live my life for Him.

    Tammy said...

    God is so willing to shower His grace and mercy on undeserving sinners. I pray that even though I am undeserving, that I will be thankful, and repentant!