Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday, September 28 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Isaiah 43-44, Romans 8:1-21


Happy Wednesday!

I am going to start off blunt:
Some of the harshest people are Christians.  And we are usually the harshest on ourselves.  Would we ever think of saying some of the things we say to ourselves to others?


I can't work as fast as she does.
I didn't get as much done as she did.
She prays better than I do.
She reads the bible better than I do.
I can't believe I messed up again!
Why can't I seem to get it right?
I'm never going to be a good enough mom/friend/daughter/wife.
I'm not good enough.


We are so hard on ourselves.  And I hear people saying these things about themselves.  We would cringe if we heard someone saying this to someone else and yet we do it to ourselves.  I have to ask, would/does Jesus say these things to you?  No!  Absolutely not!  These are all lies from the enemy.

Romans 8:1 rings loudly here  "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". Why are we beating ourselves up when Christ already paid that price for our sins? I believe the more we focus on a sin or shortcoming the likely we are to repeat it, because our eyes are on it. We are focusing on ourselves and our sin. But if we focus on grace and forgiveness, we are putting our eyes on Jesus. We all know people will walk and drive towards the things they are looking at. If we keep our eyes on what we want to become we will be more like it.

Remember that we have been set free from condemnation.  We live in liberty.  Live in the freedom of His grace.

Tomorrow's passage: Isaiah 45-46, Romans 8:22-39

2 comments:

Pamela said...

An awesome reminder, thanks.

One thing that stood out for me today was this part of Isaiah:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
because these words are lyrics for a song that we sing in our school chapel. I love that these songs are right from the word of God and that they are impressing on the minds of our students, many that have no church background. What a witness to them!

Tammy said...

Great post Kathryn. There were some verses in Isaiah that tied into that as well....
"you are precious and honored in my sight" 43:4

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up: do you not perceive it?" 43:19

"my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise" 43:21

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake and remembers your sins no more" 43:25

"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you" 44:22