Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thursday, September 8 ~ Miriam

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Isaiah 3-4; 2 Corinthians 12.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.




This is one of those things that I've come to understand better in the last few years with which I think a non-Christian or a new Christian would have a really difficult time.  Nobody wants weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions or difficulties.  It seems people often think that if they are Christians, have enough faith, are "good enough" etc. and so on, that they will not go through these things, or at least less of them.  People seem to think that terrible things shouldn't happen to someone who is a believer.  You often hear people wondering why bad things happen to good people.  We've talked about it on this blog before as well.  The truth is that bad things happen to everyone.  Everyone has hardships, sometimes as a result of a poor decision or consequences for sin, but sometimes for seemingly no reason whatsoever.  Nowhere in the Bible does it say you will have a free and easy time in life as a Christian.  In fact, it says that in some ways you will have MORE trials and tribulations.  

It is when we are going through hard times that Christ is most evident in our lives.  We can pray, have faith, and rely on his strength when we feel like we have none of our own.  "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Even though it sometimes feels like those things are fruitless when we don't get the answer or result we are hoping for, the reality is that it is he who sustains us and gives us what we need to get through.  

We're not super-people.  We can't walk tall and proud through every circumstance in life.  Sometimes we have to stumble, crawl, or even fight tooth and nail (spiritually and/or emotionally) to come through a difficult time.  Often we need help.  For Christians, it is during those times that we can be the greatest witness to those around us.  Not by how strong we are, but by revealing his strength to carry us through.  "For when I am weak, then I am strong." 

 Tomorrow's passage:  Isaiah 5-6; 2 Corinthians 13.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Exactly Miriam. When we are weak, it is His strength shining through and He is getting the glory for sustaining us and getting us through. I think this is another one of those lessons that we keep learning over and over again to a greater and greater degree through experience (unfortunately!).

Pamela said...

It is always during times of uncertainty and struggle that I feel closer to God and I am fully reminded of His love and ability to carry me.