Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday, September 5 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is 2 Chronicles 23, Joel 2-3, 2 Corinthians 10

Happy Monday Everyone!

Since Tammy blogged about 2 Corinthians 10 yesterday, I'm going to choose a section from chapter 9 today! ;)

Scripture:
2 Corinthians 9:6-9
 6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written:
   “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.”[a]

Observation:
I like what these verses have to say on a couple of levels. My mom always told me "what you give is what you get". And here we see the same message as it pertains to giving to the church. I love the use of the word "generously" here. The second part of this message that I love is "... so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work".

Application:
This is where it gets hard... God does not give us abundantly just so we can drive new cars and buy a new fall wardrobe. He gives abundantly so that no matter what the situation, we will have what we need so that we will "abound in every good work". This is one that really resonates with me. I don't have a weekly/monthly budget. I spend more on myself and material things than I really "need" to and reading this today make me realize that maybe I'm reducing the effect of good work that could be produced in me and in my church if I sacrificed more wants and stuck more to the needs in my life.
 
Prayer:
Father God. Open my eyes to the needs in my life. Reveal the ways I can give more generously to you. Whether it be in my time, money or prayer. God, remind me that the generous gifts you give are purposed for your good works. Amen
 
Tomorrow's passage: 2 Chronicles 24-26, 2 Corinthians 11:1-15

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Great post Jody. We are to be cheerful and generous givers when we tithe and give to organizations that further God's kingdom. But good stewardship does not stop there. We are to be good stewards of the money we keep for ourselves, recognizing that it is still not ours, but God's, to use for His glory not just our own enjoyment.

Pamela said...

Great thoughts. This is an area I need to work on.

Miriam said...

Great post, Jody. This is an area I need to work on as well.