Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday, July 10-guest post by Pamela


Scripture:
Psalm 107:1
1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.

Observation: We are loved by a good God. Forever.

Application: As I read through today's readings, the first verse stood out for me as I found myself humming the song by Chris Tomlin...even though I noticed from finding it on YouTube that it is actually based one Psalm 136...but this verse stood out because it just really made me think about what "forever" and what "love" really means. Think about it for a second. Forever. What does that mean? Can we even fathom how long forever is? In Psalm 107, we are given a clear picture of what forever means. Forever means that even when we make mistakes, God is willing to forgive us for our failures. Whether we are hungry or thirsty because living our lives foolishly (verse 5) or whether we prisoners-I think literally or figuratively- (verse 10) or whether we are making foolish choices and ignoring what we know to be good and becoming hurt in the process (verse 17), God promises to be faithful to us if we call on Him. Not just once or twice, but forever. I am thankful and humbled that God models how to forgive so easily. It reminds me that if God can forgive me for whatever wrongs I have committed that I should act in the same way. I should extend the same love, compassion, and "forever" to those who have wronged me.

One other thing that stood out for me throughout Psalm 107 is that God uses bad situations to help draw people closer to Him. It seems like people sometimes have to hit rock bottom before they final repent and return to God. When I think of times in my own life, I think about how true that is. I can always remember that the times I have felt closest to God were the times I fully realized that I could not do it on my own. We really do serve an awesome God, one who is good (with a perfect plan to keep us close to Him). He deserves our praise and thanks. He loves us unconditionally and forever.

Prayer: Dear Lord, Thank you for showing us the meaning of LOVE and FOREVER. You have given us the perfect example and you have set the bar for us to follow. Thank you for forgiving us when we fail to reach the standard that you have set for us. Help us to remember that any hardship we face may be your subtle way of reminding us that we need to lean on you for support. Thank you for being a good God. Amen.


Tomorrow's passage: Psalm 115-118

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Thanks Pam.

It's hard for us to even imagine love that perfect nevermind endless love that perfect, no matter what!