Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 17th

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Isaiah 24-27 & 29.

So, yesterday I had an opportunity to redeem the time. I was sitting at the Olive Garden by myself (if we take kids along, Nathan usually drives around or shops a bit so we don't have restless, rowdy kids waiting with us for a table) with nothing to do. I took out my handy compact Bible from my purse and finished up the day's readings and then I put it away preparing to twiddle my thumbs till our table was ready. And then I remembered - redeem the time. This is exactly the time Janet Pope was talking about - and I could use it to memorize Psalm 1 as I verbally committed to doing on July 6th. And so I got my Bible back out and did it. Yup, I memorized the whole chapter (except verse 1 which I already had worked on) instead of doing nothing. Sounds like a good use of time to me!

I am going to continue memorizing scripture with my kids as we go through My ABC Bible verses, and when that is complete, I will pick another chapter to memorize. I like the idea of memorizing chapters because you don't have to memorize all kinds of references along with it. Plus you do get much more of a flow to what you're memorizing and it's easier to pull out a passage to recite to yourself during "redeem the time" moments.

Back to today's passage which flows excellently out of yesterday's passage and Tammi's post - the hope of the Second Coming.

In his sermon Cities of Ruthless Nations will Revere Thee on Chapter 25:1-8, John Piper sums it up so well with these words....
the cause of God we are investing in cannot fail. All the nations will turn to God in worship. God will spread a great banquet for all the peoples. Cities of ruthless nations will revere him. He will remove all suffering and grief and reproach from his people; and he will put away death forever.

Therefore, when it comes to world missions not one life, not one prayer, or one dollar, or one sermon, or one letter of encouragement, or one little light shining in some dark placenothing in the cause of God's advancing kingdom will ever be vain. (emphasis mine)

Can you feel the triumph? Can you sense the victory? Can you feel the certainty? Can you hear the absolute assurance that every promise of God will be fulfilled in that day?

Then live in the light of what you have heard and the hope you profess!

Tomorrow's passage: Isaiah 30-33

2 comments:

tammi said...

I LOVED that phrase ~ "Redeem the time." I've repeated that several times to myself since that broadcast, too! (And I'm kind of geekily excited to have a fellow ROH fan that I actually know in real life! I never would have suspected you and I to be kindred spirits, but it seems we're more alike than I realized!)

I love your look at today's reading ~ what a thing to look forward to!!

Tammy said...

It's amazing how well you can get to know someone online that you already know (less well) in real life. That sentence is kinda hard to follow but ykwim! :)

I'd love to go to one of those ROH weekends someday, that would be awesome!