Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday February 7th Readings- Guest Post by Mrs.Oz

Today's passage from the One Year Chronological Bible Reading Plan is Exodus 20:1-22:15.
Just walk with me:
The Ten Commandments: The Moral Code of Life
So much to glean here. I'm struck by the simplicity and the preciseness of the commandments. They get right to the point. The most convicting to me today? Vs. 17:
"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor". May I take the liberty to "every day" this?
You shall not desire to have the beautiful house your friend has with it's new construction and nice neighborhood, large rooms and den. Even though it has hard wood floors you like so much and a big backyard with a pool, you are to be content with what the Lord has given you.
You shall not covet the man at church who's so much more of a leader in his home than your husband seems to be. You shall not compare your spouse to him in your mind and be discontent with the man that God has given unto you.
You shall not wish your income was as so-and-so's income is. You shall not covet their grocery allotment and whine and pine about yours being so much less. You shall not complain about the car you have that runs well but looks shabby.

This is so hard for all American women. Not to covet. WOW. Could you possibly hit us more at home? We have so much around us TO covet that is it such a struggle. I think of Paul often and how he learned to be content in any situation. I live in a double wide modular home in a park and I've learned to be so joyful that we have a place at all. We don't' have a nice view out any window. On one side I look at broken down vehicles my neighbor has and a rusty shed that is falling apart, and on the other side I look at a neighbor who let's weeds be their yard. There is no vista, no refreshing view of any kind, but I've learned that my home is what I make it in my gratitude of it.

Chapter 20:25 spoke to me:
"If you make an altar of stone for Me you shall not build it of cut stones, for if you wield your tool on it, you will profane it."
God at first says to make the altars to him of earth. Then, if they are of stone he wants them to be in their natural state. I was amazed at his intent to not let us think that we contributed ANYTHING in the sacrifices we give up to Him. He seems sensitive to our tendency to puff ourselves up with self righteous pride at any effort we put into it.

Next....
WOW...did you see 21:22? What a sweet refreshing breeze to hear God hold highly the life of the unborn! Praise Him! He treasures the woman who is with child and holds a life for a life if that child is harmed. I just was struck by the heart of God on this one. To take the time to put the unborn child in the passages proceeding the Ten Commandments was awesome of Him.

Beyond that I'm just struck by the continual thickness of integrity of these laws. To make things right, make restitution, is the theme of integrity. It was serious and final. We even see the death penalty supported here in 21:12, and grace for the man who murdered but did not do so with premeditation. There is such respect for life and authority on every level. God demonstrates his keen sense of justice and we read and love Him for it! It's so pure, and so right!
It's very much the law but very much the character of God as well that we see here and I think it's something to notice. It's a call to do right by those around you even if it cost you to do so. It's a conviction to call a spade a spade and not let political correctness change our moral fiber. It's black and white issues here, there is no grey. It's refreshing really in a world of wish-washy mamby-pamby decision making and the wicked becoming the victims.
It starts with us in our own hearts too and the example of integrity we set to those around us. Christ came to fulfill the law but there is still so much in the law that is beautiful and I really got a sense of harmonious beauty reading how things aught to be. If men could follow these rules, out of motivation for their God, then theocracy seems possible. The problem is, they cannot follow it. So the story continued. Yet, there is so much for us to learn about here as believers. We can practice these just commands out of love for God and for the Glory of His name.

Tomorrow's reading is: Exodus 22:16-24:18

5 comments:

tammi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tammi said...

Haha, coveting isn't just a problem for American women ~ Canadian women have quite a bit of trouble with it, too! ;)

I listened to a Revive Our Hearts broadcast just this week that actually takes it one step further ~ a person who truly loves with the love of God will be genuinely HAPPY for the neighbour who has the shiny new house with the den and the hardwood floors! ::GULP::

In her book, The Music of His Promises, Elisabeth Elliot has a wonderful passage about this:

If I imagine that I love my neighbor, let me test my love by asking how glad I am that he has achieved what I have failed to achieve; that he has managed to acquired what I have long wished to acquire; that he is loved by someone or by many or in some way that has never been granted to me.

Do I rejoice because my neighbor has reasons to rejoice that have been denied me? Can I honestly praise God for His goodness to my neighbor? Can I praise Him wholeheartedly for His gifts to me? If I love my neighbor as myself, there will be no reason at all for the least twinge of jealousy—because I will be just as happy that he has what I wanted as I would be if I had it
(p. 139-140).


I think this is one of those commandments where the New Testament Law of Love really quite obviously does make the old law perfect. In the OT, only obedience was required ~ in the NT, we're taught that we're to live likewise, but our lifestyle should be motivated by love. Love for God in us, and His love for mankind THROUGH us.

tammi said...

Oh, and I like your point about God stating the value of unborn children in His law, too. That kind jumped out at me as well.

Mrs.Oz said...

Sorry, I forgot this was a nation wide group!LOL!
Oh, man that concept is so true and SO challenging. I love the words from Elizabeth..she is one of my favs. Love her perspective.
YES! I like your thoughts on the New Covenant challenging us to have this attitudes from our heart rather than duty. Good reminders! Thanks.

Tammy said...

Great post Mrs Oz, and comments Tammi.

Another verse that jumped out at me was the one about God punishing the children for the sin of their fathers to the 3rd and 4th generation, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love Him.

I love how the blessing is so huge!