Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2 - Guest Post by Miriam

Today's reading is Exodus 4:18-7:13.   Click here to read the passage on-line.

It must have been obvious to the Israelites at the time that Moses' and Aaron's coming had made their situation worse instead of better.  Pharoah became more cruel to them, requiring them to gather their own straw and still make as many bricks as they had made before.  I'm sure that they were mistreated - beaten, certainly, and some probably died.  "How is this a deliverance?" they must have wondered.  The Israelite foremen complained to Moses and Aaron, and Moses complained to God. "O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people? Is this why you sent me?  Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has brought trouble upon this people, and you have not rescued your people at all." Exodus 5:22-23


And God says:

'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment.  I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.  And I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. I will give it to you as a possession. I am the LORD.'  Exodus 6:6-8

God purposefully hardened Pharoah's heart against Moses and Aaron in order to demonstrate his power, not only to the Egyptians but also to the Israelites who were his chosen people -- his firstborn son, according to Exodus 4:22.  The Israelites were treated cruelly for no other reason than because Pharoah was afraid of how large a nation they were becoming, having done nothing to bring this on themselves, and God used this situation to show them "miraculous signs and wonders" so that they would know and believe that he could and would take care of them and fulfill his promise.  This goes back to something we learned from Job.  Not all trials and tribulations are punishments or consequences of our actions.  The Israelites were enslaved so that God could show them (and also the Egyptians, but I believe the message was meant more for the Israelites), clearly and in no uncertain terms, that he is God.  He has power over everything.  He is in control.  But it didn't seem that way at first.  Things got much worse before they got better.

We struggle with waiting for God's timing.  He knew they needed more demonstrations.  He knew that their faith would be weak if they were too easily let go.  The more demonstrations or miraculous signs and wonders he performed, the stronger their belief would be in what he could do in the future.  And we, like them, are human and we want proof.  "Show me, God!" 

As I read, I thought "Wouldn't it be great if God demonstrated his power so evidently now?"  But then, I realized he does all the time - in nature, which those who are scientifically minded prefer to explain by other means.  I believe that his power is demonstrated on a daily basis to those who choose to see it.  Not only that, but we also have the record of his previous signs and wonders in the Bible. 

I see God's hand in every living thing around me, when I think about it.  The workings of the body.  The development of a baby inside its mother.  Trees, grass, flowers, even weeds.  Animals, birds, sea life, and those mosquitoes we're plagued with every summer.  The warmth of the sun.  The refreshment of rain.  The light breeze that carries the scent of blossoms. And then there are the more violent demonstrations.  Thunder.  Lightning.  Blizzards.  Hail.  Hurricanes.  Earthquakes.  We serve a great and powerful God.  What a wonder that he should care for us.

Tomorrow's reading is Exodus 7:14-9:35.  Click here to read on-line.

3 comments:

tammi said...

AMEN!

Mrs.Oz said...

LOL! I was going to just say AMEN. But VG beat me to it!
I like too that you pointed out how God wanted these stories told from generation to generation. These times he did do a lot of strange and amazing things for His people, he asks us to tell it over and over to our children.

Tammy said...

Excellent post Miriam!