Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday, October 29-guest post by Pamela

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Jeremiah 23-24; Hebrews 4

Scripture:
Two verses that jumped out for me today from the readings:
Jeremiah 23:24

24 Can anyone hide in secret places
so that I cannot see him?”
declares the LORD.
“Do not I fill heaven and earth?”
declares the LORD.

and

Hebrews 4:9-11

9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.

Hebrews 4:9

Observation: God is bigger than heaven and earth and yet He took the time to take a rest.

Application: I'll be the first to admit that I don't do "rest" well. I thrive on being busy and filling my time with activities and "busy"-ness. I find it so incredibly difficult to say no to stuff, (although I am getting better at it), and I often find that my plate is constantly full of obligations and expectations. Most often, I make my way through each day-checking off the items on my mental to-do list-and trying to balance everything to make it all happen. At the end of the day, I crawl into bed exhausted and yet I wake up again the next morning and do it all over again. It's not that I am complaining, I love this live that I have purposely chosen, but the first verse I highlighted reminded me that despite all of the busy that I pack into my life, that God still sees me. He will find me no matter how full my life is. Even if I have fallen off my daily bible reading routine, I cannot hide from him where He is unable to bring me back. What a wonderful encouragement that is.

The second verse that stood out for me was a reminder that even God, Creator of all things, took a rest. As I enter assessment and report card time at school, this message was especially timely. I sometimes feel like I can do it all and do it all well and that is not true. Making myself too busy means that something has to give and usually it is the things I take for granted that end up being casualties. I need to learn to rest. I need to teach my children to learn to rest. How can they learn to follow God's plan for rest if I don't model it?

Prayer: Oh Most Amazing God!
I shouldn't be surprised by this point in my life how You know just what I need to read right at this moment. You know the Saturdays that are my turn and You use that particular scripture to tug and pull at me to Your way. Lord, I need your reminders again and again and I am so thankful that you fill heaven and earth and that I cannot hide from You because You will always find me. Thank you. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: Jeremiah 27-29 - Hebrews 5

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I noticed those verses too Pam!

Another one that struck me was about hearing the message, but it was no use because they didn't combine it with faith. This is a great reminder that children can grow up in the church and still not be believers. It's not head knowledge, it's combining that knowledge with faith! Great reminder to pray that the hearts of our children would be open to the Truth as they hear it.

Miriam said...

Good reminders, Pam, thanks! I also noticed the Jer. 23:3-4 - paraphrased "I will gather the remnant... I will place shepherds over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified, nor will any be missing." Great words of comfort.