Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday, October 28 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Jeremiah 49, 13, 22; Hebrews 3.

So once again, we come to instances today where God promises destruction to nations that have caused problems for Israel, and yet He promises there will always be a remnant and that someday they will be restored.  In chapter 48 from yesterday's reading, He even weeps for Moab.  But we've talked about this interesting apparent contradiction before on this blog, so I won't discuss it again.  It just always catches my eye because I think it's something I never noticed before and it teaches us something about God that we don't often think about.

We tend to view "the God of the Old Testament" as being vengeful and judgmental, arbitrarily punishing people and nations more drastically than we think they deserve, and yet over and over again, when we really dig into the Scriptures, we see His heart behind the seemingly callous actions.  We get to see a beauty and an incredible sovereign grace that we just don't see when we give the Old Testament just a cursory glance.  It pays to study!!

Chapters 13 and 22 are specific threats against Jerusalem and some of her evil kings.  You can't help but notice the crude harshness of the language in 13 where once again, God calls His people prostitutes, because they have worshipped man-made gods and put their faith in idols.  He threatens to expose their shame and their guilt.

I couldn't help but feel somewhat convicted as I read those awful verses.  What if my friends and family could see MY inner failings, my sinful thoughts?  What if God exposed MY heart?  Would it be a thing of beauty, or might it be a source of shame and guilt as well?  Undoubtedly, this is a call for us as well to make sure our only hope and confidence is in the One True God.  We can't be sinless, of course, but we can have changed hearts and renewed minds as we pursue the holiness He calls us to.  And we have the atoning blood of Christ, that WILL ensure our sinless presentation before God someday, despite our humanness and failings in this life.

Hebrews 3 actually sort of continues along this same vein as the author quotes OT passages, reminding his audience not to rebel against God.  He's proven Christ is superior to the angels and to Moses, and so he says, in effect, "THEREFORE, he is worthy of our trust and loving devotion."  Then he continues and comes to his warning against unbelief, reminding the Hebrew believers of how dearly they paid for their lack of faith after God so miraculously brought them out of Egypt and provided for them in the wilderness.  He reminds them that it was their disbelief in God's power, providence, and continued provision that caused that generation to miss out on entering the Promised Land.  Over and over, the Israelites complained and grumbled against God, often just days after He'd proven Himself and provided for them in undeniably miraculous ways!

And with that, we see just how dangerous discontentment really is.  Because whether we like it or not, it's tantamount to unbelief.  Which makes it a very serious sin, and brings us right back to the promises of punishment we see in Jeremiah.

I don't know about you, but I really need to work at pursuing a contented heart; a heart at peace with life, regardless of the surroundings or circumstances, because I know the God who knows all and is in control of it all, from start to finish!








Tomorrow's readings: Jeremiah 23-24; Hebrews 4

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tammy said...

It's amazing how quickly discontentment can creep in isn't it? I always thought the Israelites were quite the piece of work complaining after all God's miracles.

But, just the other day, I was out and about with friends (kidless!) all day, and no sooner was I back at home, but I was snapping at the kids and just being overall grouchy. For no reason. I had had a great day to myself, and was still being snappish. Constant work in progress that's for sure!

tammi said...

I hear ya! I don't know about you, but I find I'm actually far more likely to be harsh with my kids when I've had days all to myself ~ and I have quite a few of those, now that both girls are in school full-time!! You'd think it would be easier to be loving, intentional, and patient with them then, but it sure doesn't seem to work that way!

I'm a work in progress, too. And hopefully, my girls SEE that progress!! :)

Miriam said...

Great post, Tammi, thanks. I hear ya on the short, snappy attitude. I've been there too. Even before I had kids, every once in a while I would take a day off... meaning, I would sit on the couch ALL DAY and watch movies and do NOTHING. And somehow, I was always in a cranky mood by the end of the day. Apparently, being unproductive leads to unbecoming attitudes.

tammi said...

Oooo, Miriam, I think you might be onto something there!