Saturday, October 1, 2011

Saturday, October 1-guest post by Pamela

Wow! October already! Today's post may seem a bit cryptic but I'm just not willing to be any more personal than this. I just know that God wanted me to hear this and I am so thankful that today was my posting day.

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Isaiah 50-52; Romans 9:16-33.

Scripture: Isaiah 50:10 & 11
10 Who among you fears the LORD
and obeys the word of his servant?
Let the one who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD
and rely on their God.
11 But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go, walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment.

The Message version:

10-11Who out there fears God,
actually listens to the voice of his servant?
For anyone out there who doesn't know where you're going,
anyone groping in the dark,
Here's what: Trust in God.
Lean on your God!
But if all you're after is making trouble,
playing with fire,

Go ahead and see where it gets you.
Set your fires, stir people up, blow on the flames,
But don't expect me to just stand there and watch.
I'll hold your feet to those flames.

NIV Reader's Version:
10 Does anyone among you have respect for the Lord?
Does anyone obey the message of the Lord's servant?
Let the person who walks in the dark
trust in the Lord.
Let the one who doesn't have any light to guide him
depend on his God.
11 But all of you sinners who light fires
should go ahead and walk in their light.
You who carry flaming torches
should walk in their light.
Here's what I'm going to do to you.
I'll make you lie down in great pain.


Observation: Relying on our own devices instead of God's perfect plan can appear to light our way but really leads to destruction.

Application: I love reading the bible online. I love being able to search out different versions and read a verse in a new way that might make it clearer than just reading one version. I have posted 3 of my favourite versions of the verses that stood out for me from today's readings.

There have been some big things struggles in my life lately and I have struggled with interpretations that can be pulled from verses in the Bible. I worry that interpretations can be contrary to what the Bible is actually saying. If we examine things and pull things apart we can slant them to read how we want them to read and this verse made me think about that yet again. I think it is easier to believe that God intends us to be happy, than it is to believe that we are accountable for our actions and that sometimes we won't be because of the choices we have made in the past.

When we rely on God, we are guided by His light, His plan, and His goal for our lives. When we interpret the Bible to suit our desires we may feel like our path is lit and that we are on the right track but it is an illusion.

I know we have talked about unknown sin before over the last year and I think it fits in with this as well. Just because we don't realize it's wrong, doesn't make it any less wrong or sinful in the eyes of God. I guess that's where this verse fits in:

James 5:20
"remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins."

This means it is our job as Christians to question others about what they are doing. These kind of confrontations are never easy, but I guess God never promised that it would be. What He did promise is that there is forgiveness for all sinners who confess their sins. (Romans 3:23)

Prayer: Lord, You are an awesome God. You place the readings in the hands of those who need it most and today this passage felt like it was for me. Lord, I have let you down again and again. I try to light my own path without fully realizing the light is not from You and that my direction needs to be more focused on You. Thank you for Your gracious forgiveness and the hope that it gives. I lift up everyone who is a part of this study and may this time of study give us a greater courage to seek Your light instead of imitation and to reveal Your word to others around us. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: Isaiah 53-55 - Romans 10

5 comments:

tammi said...

I wonder sometimes if that's the danger in reading books specifically aimed at what our current problems are instead of just reading our Bibles. Because books are thematic, it's much easier to glean knowledge and encouragement from them ~ you don't have to read passage after passage in HOPES of finding something that will speak to whatever it is we're going through. But then we also run the risk of grasping onto something that sounds good but isn't actually biblical. We all want wisdom and the Bible clearly states where that can be found, and that's usually not the first place we turn! I think because it IS harder; it DOES involve much more time and effort than picking up and reading a book from your local Christian bookstore or church library by a well-known author.

But then, the rewards of long hours spent scouring God's Word are infinitely greater, too. They won't just speak wisdom and encouragement to a current problem ~ it's wisdom for LIFE.

Now, don't think I'm saying I think we should never read books other than the Bible ~ that would make me quite the hypocrite! But I'm working at this in my own life ~ that I try to find my answers, or at least some inspiration and encouragement, from His Word FIRST, rather than just looking through my bookshelf for a book that I think will do the trick. I want to know what He says for MYSELF, to listen with my OWN ears, to let the Holy Spirit guide me to a passage or illuminate one I'd not considered before, not just read how someone else has interpreted something and potentially twisted it to suit their purposes, using seminary words to make it sound perfectly plausible.

(Sorry, that got to be longer and preachier than I really intended it to be, but it's nice to get it off my chest!)

Your statement about it being "easier to believe that God intends us to be happy, than it is to believe that we are accountable for our actions and that sometimes we won't be because of the choices we have made in the past," reminds me of a quote I heard some time ago: "God cares more about our holiness than about our happiness." Because holiness is the transformation He's working at in our lives.

Pamela said...

Oh, I love that quote. I have heard too often in the last while about "deserving to be happy" and I cringe because we don't "deserve to be happy" at the expense of ignoring God's commandments. However, the problem I have with expressing my concerns is that I did make choices in my life that have made me happy and I feel that my "rebuking" the choices of others may come across in a "holier than thou" attitude. Does that make sense?

tammi said...

Well, certainly there's nothing wrong with making choices that end up bringing happiness and contentment ~ they were probably WISE choices! ;)

I think I understand where you're coming from, and yet, NOTHING is actually under our control, even when things go the way we want them to! But obviously, we ~ and those around us ~ generally only see and credit/blame decisions that we've made in the past for our current situations. I get it. I guess wisdom and discernment is the key. (haha, real helpful, eh??!)

Tammy said...

It is so hard to search for truth with an unbiased heart. To hear what God's Word really says, instead of what we want it to say. Which is why it's so important to read the Word in context, instead of just pulling out random verses and stringing them together to come up with some really bad theology.

May we desire holiness above happiness!

Tammy said...

I liked this quote by MacArthur about our Romans passage..

"Because God wanted to use this occasion to put His glory on display. God hardened Pharaoh's heart. By the way, it says that ten times in those chapters in Exodus...ten times, God hardened his heart, God hardened his heart, God hardened his heart. By the way, it also says several times, less times but several, "Pharaoh hardened his heart." It is not that God alone does it but that man confirms that by his own act and therein lies the irreconcilable tension between the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man."

From here http://www.gty.org/resources/Sermons/45-72_Is-Israels-Unbelief-Inconsistent-with-Gods-Plan--Part-2