Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday, Feb 4 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Genesis 43-45, Matthew 22:23-46.

I thought Kathryn brought up an interesting contrast between the recently-finished book of Job and the story here of Joseph in her post on Wednesday.  I really appreciated that perspective.  In Job, we find the seemingly endless arguments of why bad things happen to good people, why bad things aren't necessarily linked to bad behaviour, why good things aren't necessarily linked to good behaviour, and most of all... WHY ME?!  Joseph's story could have played out much the same way and his prayers and questions probably could have filled countless chapters, too, and yet all we see is his simple faith.  Where Job is actually a little self-centered and self-righteous, Joseph is a beautiful example of a humble and singularly God-centered life.

While I'm sure he will have spent hours wondering why God was allowing these things to happen to him, especially since he also had done nothing wrong (except maybe been a little too excited to tell everyone about his dreams!), and maybe even got angry with God at times, his life is a picture of someone whose sole purpose is to glorify God.  In any situation, in any circumstance, his primary focus is living a life pleasing to God.  Whether he's overseeing Potiphar's large household, fighting sexual temptation, interpreting dreams, or helping out in prison, his passion is to live a life that reflects his relationship with God.

Now, considering Joseph didn't have the written Word like we do ~ probably didn't have access to ANY teaching about God other than the stories told about his dad and his grandfather ~ this is pretty amazing.  For him to even consider that living differently from those around him might be at all important is something to wonder about!  Where did that compulsion come from?!  So many times, we see the words repeated, "The LORD was with him..." and I have to wonder, what must that have been like in an era where followers of God were extremely few and far between (probably pretty much restricted to Jacob's family alone) and where there were no written resources?  Could Joseph feel that God was with him?

I just always marvel at his faith and his ability to persevere through the toughest situations, the darkest days, and then to be able to look back and see exactly why it all happened and to give God all the glory, even for the bad stuff.  What a beautiful story and a great example of faithfulness ~ both Joseph's and GOD'S!

You know what really struck me, though, about today's OT passage? Judah's offer to be a substitute so that Joseph would allow Benjamin and the rest of his brothers to return home safely to their father. Isn't that a beautiful foreshadowing of what one of Judah's descendants did for all of humanity hundreds of years later?! I thought that was so cool!

And in the reading in Matthew, we see Jesus confirming this lineage and also His superiority to His human ancestors because of His heavenly Father.  I had to chuckle a little when I read that last bit because it's all clear to us ~ again because we have the benefit of all the written resources ~ but I could almost see how part of the reason no one said anything after Jesus made His statement was simply because they were thoroughly confused about who and what Jesus was talking about!!  It wasn't that they didn't WANT to retort, they just had no idea what He was talking about so they couldn't!  I sometimes wonder if Jesus was torn between being saddened at their stubbornness and blindness, and laughing at their foolishness and confusion.

I know in many ways we have the advantage of knowing the WHOLE story, but I hope we never quit praying for clearer vision, for better hearing, and always shapable hearts.









Tomorrow's passages: Genesis 46-48, Matthew 23:1-22

9 comments:

Pamela said...

I never thought about it being Judah who offered to be a sacrifice.

One thing that always stands out for me what that Joseph does not really seem to hold a grudge to his brothers. Sure he has a little fun with them and makes them worry but he does not ever seem to seek revenge. These stories of how to forgive others really stand out for me.

Miriam said...

Great post, Tammi. The reason I noticed that it was Judah who offered to take Benjamin's place is because it was Judah who suggested that Joseph be sold into slavery in the first place. What a turnaround! He's envious of Joseph as their father's favourite so he sells him, but years later, even though Benjamin is now obviously favoured, Judah offers to take his place so that their father will not die of sorrow. You could say he was merely keeping his word to his father that Benjamin would return, but I wouldn't be surprised if in some way he was seeking redemption for what he'd done to Joseph.

Kristi said...

Yes, Joseph is such a great example of humility and faithfulness! Very few people can handle great wealth and power, without it going to their head, and causing seperation from God.

I believe Joseph did FEEL God's presence. We know that the Holy Spirit could descend upon believers in the OT, and I believe he needed that presence to make it through what He has to endure!

Dana said...

This is the first time I have paid so much attention to this story when I read it and I am really loving this one! You learn so many more things every time you read it! I am amazed at how Joseph is so forgiving of his brothers and also his humility. I never really compared Judah's sacrifice to Jesus' before. I think Joseph is becoming my favorite character from the OT. Thanks ladies!

Kathryn said...

What a great point about Job was self-centered and Joseph was God-centered. And sometimes that's what makes all the difference in a situation. When we look at ourselves, it's so much more difficult, because in ourselves we can only do so much, we are finite. But when we look at God, He is infinitely more than we can even begin to think! Our situations don't seem quite so hopeless. Thank you for that.

Unknown said...

I know the story of Joseph from Sunday School, so in the past as an adult I've tended to read it quickly with the "I know this story" attitude. I too read it carefully this time and was amazed at all the little things I saw. The biggest was Joseph's love of and forgiveness towards his brothers . . . it caused him to not just weep, but to weep so loudly that people in other rooms could hear him! That's a lot of love and forgiveness, considering what his brothers had done to him. And through all that he goes back to glorifying God, saying that it was all part of God's plan for their lives! So neat!

And I couldn't help grinning when I read about Jacob hearing that his beloved son was alive. Seriously . . . can you imagine how that must have felt?

Kristi said...

Yes, Rebekah, I cry everytime I read that part! As a mother, and the emotional person that I am, I cry just thinking about how he must of felt hearing he was alive, and then again, when they are reunited. So, so special!

Jody said...

Great post - and an interesting comparison to Job and Joseph. I've never thought of that before. This story is one of my favorites!

Tammy said...

Joseph is definitely my all time favourite Bible character. Maybe we should have named Jacob Joseph instead. ;)

Love the comparison between Job and Joseph, so true! I love Joseph's passion to live a life reflective of his (excellent) relationship with God. I want that same passion and same excellent relationship!!

Very cool that Judah's sacrificial offer foreshadows Jesus ultimate sacrifice on our behalf. Never thought of that before.

Great post Tammi, thank you!