Monday, February 7, 2011

Feb 7, 2011 -- Sandy

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is: Exodus 1-3 and Matthew 24:1-28

You know what's really great? Pregnancy brain! I LOVE forgetting important things! Like appointments...classes...this blog. Yeah. Sorry about that.

Anyhoo. In honor of my brain that seems to fail me more often than not (I'm truly sorry. I feel as though I'm a terrible failure :( ), I decided to open up the forum so to speak:

Do YOU think we're in 'End Times' right now? Based on Jesus's words in Matthew here:

3As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?" 4And Jesus answered them, "See that no one leads you astray. 5For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and they will lead many astray. 6And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 7For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

9"Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name’s sake. 10And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. 11And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved.14And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.



So. What do you think? Scripture references to back up your thoughts please! And uhh...let's keep it simple k? Some of us are getting dumber by the moment!

Sandy

Tomorrow's passage: Exodus 4-6 and Matthew 24:29-51


7 comments:

tammi said...

Well, I think we're definitely CLOSER to the "end times" than when Jesus spoke these words! "Wars and rumours of wars" (Matt. 24:6; Mark 13:7) seem to be increasing exponentially and lawlessness is certainly on the rise! And by lawlessness, I think He's referring less to actual crime rates than He is to numbers of people deserting GOD's laws. It used to be that even if you weren't a Christian, you likely lived by biblical principles, but now....? HIGHLY UNlikely!

Just yesterday, hubby and I were discussing the problems Egypt is having right now and how, depending on who replaces the current president, Israel may be completely surrounded by bitter enemies. I can't help but fear/wonder what will be planned if an anti-Semitic government comes into power.

And then in Sunday school there was talk again of this "one world religion" idea and I'll admit, that kinda freaks me out. I'm so not ready to be in a situation were the chaff will be separated from the wheat.

Miriam said...

People of every generation since Jesus was taken up into heaven have believed that they could be living in the end times. Imagine, for example, the people who lived during the time of King Henry VIII. Lawlessness. Immorality. War. Rumours of war. Famine. Disease. Pretty safe to say that somewhere in the world there was an earthquake, or a volcanic eruption, or a tsunami.

If I'd been living in Europe during WWI or WWII, I would probably have been convinced that it was the end times then. Obviously we are nearer to it now, simply because time has passed. I think in many ways it could be one of those hindsight things, where you look back on it and say "Oh yeah, those were the signs." Just like there are lots of times where we can't understand why things are happening, but when we look back on it we can see God's hand at work.

We just don't know when he's coming. I'm sure when he does come, it will be at a time no one was really expecting it. Whether these are the end times or not, we just need to be prepared, as we've been commanded. Easier said than done, of course, with all the distractions of daily life.

Miriam said...

By the way, Tammi, excuse my ignorance but what's this "one world religion" thing?

Kathryn said...

In short 'yes'. Been studying revelation in my sunday school class for the past year and honestly I do hope we are in the end end times. I don't know how much more this ol world can take!

Pamela said...

I can't possibly imagine it getting worse than it is right now and yet I am sure that generations ago thought the exact same thing. I think tolerance and acceptance is such a growing problem and that it brings with it the possibility of more and more people turning from God in favour of tolerating what is wrong because that is what is being taught. Scary.

Dana said...

I believe we are getting very close to the end times. We have been talking about it alot in church. Our Pastors did a series a couple years back and it was very very informative. I don't necessarily agree with everything completely, but either way it got me thinking!

I will post a link to their website on the Facebook group page. There is lots of great information about the end times, including very interesting sermons and a document stating the 13 key signs of the end times that they believe are beginning to happen.

Tammy said...

Interesting thoughts ladies. I, too, feel like there are many many generations before us who have felt like they were living in the end times. Obviously we are closer now due to time passing, but the Bible makes it clear that no one, not even Jesus (!) knows the time the Father will choose for Jesus to return - I find that hard to wrap my head around too.

I will have to check out those references Dana, thanks!