Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16, 2011 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Exodus 23-24, Matthew 28


I feel like I'm in the midst of a buffet tonight as I read.  There are so many different things before me that I just have to comment on, that are different from each other, but so powerful alone.  I hope this doesn't come out disjointed.

First, our Exodus reading.  It struck me, as I read, that God deals a lot with how we interact with people who we don't like or who don't like us very much.  Hmmm.  Perhaps that's just to keep the peace, but perhaps it is also for us to learn how God loves and deals with us.  What better way to turn an enemy into a friend than to help them when they need it?  Ok, ok, so it might not turn them into a friend, but for sure it will soften their heart.  It will open a door to communication.  But that is hard!

What's also equally hard is dealing with someone who is different than us.
9 “Also you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the heart of a stranger, because you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
This verse meant something to me as I read it.  I've lived in an area as a stranger for over three years now.  While this is my home now, I still feel like an outsider.  What makes it more difficult is that it is a very small town.  People don't move in and out regularly, so if there is a newbie everyone knows.  I'm new, I'm the outsider.  It can be very lonely.  Granted, I'm not oppressed or a slave like the Israelites were, nor are many of us when moving to a new place, but what about the people who visit our churches for the first time?  Or the new girl at our workplace?  Or what about the new family down the street?  There is a special place for new people in my heart because I know what it's like.  And God didn't want the Israelites to forget it either.

As I read about the laws of the Sabbath I find it interesting how often God repeats Himself over some things.  He mentions about being the only God a lot, not making idols a lot and He also mentions taking sabbaths a lot.  This is an important thing that I think we've lost in today's culture.  Are we afraid that if we actually take the time to rest that we'll fail and our lives will fall to pieces?  I think God is saying 'You need to trust Me for the things that need done and trust Me to supply your needs.'  We are human and He knows that without rest we will run ourselves into the ground too fast.  Resting in Him is truly trusting in Him.

And then did anyone else see this:
9 Then Moses went up, also Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, 10 and they saw the God of Israel. And there was under His feet as it were a paved work of sapphire stone, and it was like the very heavens in its clarity. 11 But on the nobles of the children of Israel He did not lay His hand. So they saw God, and they ate and drank. 
(Insert shocked smiley).  I thought no one has ever seen the face of God and lived?  Here we have about 74 people seeing the face of God and living!  Am I wrong?  Please, correct me if I am, but that's what I see here.  How could I not have seen this before?!  This is amazing!  Please pardon my shock.  But this is big for me.  Not only that but they had a nice little dinner with Him too.  How awesome that would have been!  I seriously wonder how they were able to eat in the presence of God?  Anyway, just had to mention that little shocker.

In our Matthew passage we see the awesome, exciting and glorious resurrection of our Lord.  What struck me here was this:
11 Now while they were going, behold, some of the guard came into the city and reported to the chief priests all the things that had happened. 12 When they had assembled with the elders and consulted together, they gave a large sum of money to the soldiers, 13 saying, “Tell them, ‘His disciples came at night and stole Him away while we slept.’ 14 And if this comes to the governor’s ears, we will appease him and make you secure.” 15 So they took the money and did as they were instructed; and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.
Does anyone else see the irony in conjunction with our Exodus reading?
8 And you shall take no bribe, for a bribe blinds the discerning and perverts the words of the righteous.
I realize that the persons taking a bribe were the Roman soldiers, but still the persons giving the bribe knew the law in and out and they were outright sinning!  No wonder Jesus called them whitewashed tombs!  This just goes to show just like Paul said that the law did not save, it only shows us how much we are in need of a Savior.  Thank God He provided one!  And we have beautiful proof here in our reading today of that Savior. Praise be to God for His glorious gift!
  



Tomorrow's passage: Exodus 25-26, Mark 1:1-22

6 comments:

Jody said...

I took note of the same passage in Exodus where the elders sat and had a meal with God. I was just as surprised as you! My NIV Study Bible says that they did not see God in His fullest glory. But hey, even that would be totally awesome!
Also great comparison between the OT and NT readings for today regarding the bribes.

tammi said...

Haha, those same verses popped out at me, too! But it does only mention His feet, so I'm guessing the rest was concealed by the clouds/fire/smoke. That must have just been an incredible experience!!

What I don't get is how these men participated in this feast with God and then just a mere 40 days later, they're facilitating and promoting calf-worship. I would have thought this would be a PERMANENTLY life-altering experience, and yet just six weeks later, they're every bit as "worldly" as they were before this amazing experience. I guess that just goes to show our desperate need for God's grace and the power of His Holy Spirit ALL the time, not just every now and again.

Another thing that kinda stuck out was all the rules about interpersonal relationships. I think every time I read these, I understand more and more how Jesus was the FULFILLMENT of the Law, not its replacement. We see here the minute instructions of how to show the kind of love Jesus talks about in the New Testament. It's rules and regulations here in the OT, and in the NT it's not rules anymore, but it's still the evidence of God's love in our hearts.

Miriam said...

Good thoughts, Kathryn. I noticed the same things as well.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about being a new person in a small town, too. I've lived here for 11 years now and I've come to know quite a few people here. This is my home. But I still feel that the town where I grew up is somehow home as well. In fact, there isn't a word strong enough to describe how fast I'd move back to my hometown if my husband would agree to it. However, this is HIS hometown, we live now about 700 feet from the house in which he grew up. I wonder if there will ever be a time where I feel that this is truly home here on Earth - that this is the place I want to stay regardless? You'd think 11 years would be long enough...

tammi said...

I can appreciate that, too. We've lived out here for 9 years and though I've loved our yard and house from the beginning, the PEOPLE are only just starting to feel like home now. In many ways, I still feel like an outsider, but I've been steadily taking more and more initiative in forging friendships and opening myself up. It's tough. My hope is that when other newcomers arrive that I will remember how it felt, how long it took, and to do what I can to make sure it doesn't take as long for them.

Tammy said...

Loved the bribe comparison between the OT and the NT Kathryn.

Also, I really appreciated your comments about the strangers among us, definitely a great reminder to be watchful and proactive about extending hospitality wherever we are.

Pamela said...

Great post. I thought the connection of the bribe was great and something I had not taken notice of.