Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is: Exodus 36-38, Mark 4:1-20

The reading today started off with again talking about skills and abilities the Lord has given. I love that this is a focus in these passages. In my culture and area we are often so quick to be overly humble and hold back the skills we've been given because we don't want to be misunderstood as "bragging" or "showing off". The individuals building the Tabernacle, Ark, Lampstand etc., were very well aware that God gave them these skills and abilities. They were carrying out HIS work with HIS talents (that just happened to be housed in their body). Again, we need to be aware of this in our own lives as we use the talents given us. Are we using them to further only our earthly successes? Are we even aware of the full extent of the skills and talents God has given us? And finally - are we aware that we are only the housing unit for HIS skillls and HIS talents to carry out HIS work? Don't get me wrong, I believe that we still use these abilities in our careers, homes, community etc, but we must always be aware and intentional as to where the glory belongs.

With all of our discussion last week regarding the intricate plans, instruction and direction, and God showing visions what he wanted with the Tabernacle etc, in todays reading we see it all come together. We see the "skilled" workers with "expert hands" do exactly as God instructed. He spoke, they listened. Isn't that awesome?! I love it! I love that we see a re-iteration here of what God explained a couple of chapters ago. All I have to say is that I would have LOVED to have been there. It sounds so beautiful, ornate and detailed. I wonder how long it took them to build all of this. Does anyone of you know??

And finally - I'm going to comment on one last thing that stood out to me today...
Exodus 36:3-6
3 They received from Moses all the offerings the Israelites had brought to carry out the work of constructing the sanctuary. And the people continued to bring freewill offerings morning after morning. 4 So all the skilled workers who were doing all the work on the sanctuary left what they were doing 5 and said to Moses, “The people are bringing more than enough for doing the work the LORD commanded to be done.”
 6 Then Moses gave an order and they sent this word throughout the camp: “No man or woman is to make anything else as an offering for the sanctuary.” And so the people were restrained from bringing more, 7 because what they already had was more than enough to do all the work. (all emphasis mine).

Wow. I read this and was astounded. Does this ever happen in our churches today? That the people keep bringing day after day to give "more than enough" for the work God is doing? It appears that people were bringing more then just money because Moses says they are no longer supposed to "make anything else an offering". The people were taking every thing they had and were offering it up to God's plan. I love that. I love it that they had more than enough to do ALL the work!!

To sum up all of my ramblings today, I just want to encourage all of us to realize that ALL we have - be it skills, talents, money, possessions - belong to God. They are to be submitted to Him, His glory and His plan.

Have a great day!!

p.s. I didn't even comment on the passage in Mark - but isn't this a favorite parable? Everytime I read this passage I am convicted by Mark 4:9  9 Then Jesus said, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear".

One thing I really never took note of was that in verses 13-20 Jesus actually explains the parable. That's what I'm loving about following this reading plan, I actually read entire sections instead of pieces here and there!

Tomorrow's passage: Exodus 39-40, Mark 4:21-41

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Great post Jody thanks!

I LOVE the part about the offerings and the people bringing so much (probably the jewelry referred to earlier) that Moses had to stop them from bringing more - amazing generosity!

One thing that jumped out at me was 36:2 "every skilled person to whom the Lord had given ability and who was willing" We have to be willing for God to use us. Imagine missing out on that glorious construction project, not because of lack of skill, but because of lack of willingness?! What are we missing out on today because of lack of willingness?

Miriam said...

Great post, Jody! I also love the emphasis in these passages on the skilled craftsmanship and how it repeats again, just so we don't miss it, that it was those "to whom the Lord has given skill and ability".

Did anyone else notice the weights of the materials? My Bible says the gold used in total weighed about one ton, the silver weighed 3 3/4 tons, and the bronze weighed about 2 1/2 tons. That doesn't include the wood or the fabric... there was roughly 5,500 square feet of curtain just for the tabernacle, not including the courtyard. Can you imagine?

tammi said...

Miriam, I definitely took note of the weights this time, too. And they had to CARRY all that!!! I know certain things had to literally be carried on the shoulders of the priests, but I wonder if all those curtains and posts could be loaded onto carts and pulled by animals? Either way, setting it up, taking it down, and transporting it were major undertakings!!

It always blows me away that even when the Israelites only camped somewhere for ONE night, they still had to set up the tabernacle! Geez, we have a pop-up camper that takes about an hour to set up and I refuse to go camping if we can't go for at LEAST two nights to make it worth the effort!!

I love that passage about the people having to be told to QUIT giving. I sure wonder what that must have been like. I heard/read somewhere once that if we were all really committed to serving God, there wouldn't be enough positions in the church to accommodate all the volunteers. I hope that I am always willing to serve, even when it's less than convenient, because my focus is on SERVING the Body of Christ instead of just on being served when I attend church services.

Pamela said...

Thanks for pointing that out Miriam. I kind of glossed over the weight of everything and Tammi- I agree with you that setting it all up must have been a huge undertaking!

I also found it amazing to read that they had to turn away help. I have heard and seen how churches struggle to find volunteers to run the programs and I find it so hard to imagine having to turn away people because there is already sufficient help and gifts. It must have been amazing to be there to see the structure and the willingness that people had to help out with their own gifts and abilities.