Friday, January 14, 2011

Kathryn's Testimony

I grew up in the church, in a family very much involved in our home church. We went on missions trips and for a while my father was kicking around the idea of going to seminary and becoming a pastor. For the record, he did do that, only after I was married and had a child. He and my mother are missionaries right now actually. Anyway. I came to personally know Jesus at 7 and grew steadily from there. I attended and graduated from a Christian high school which God used to aid my growth. I have a couple of teachers who spurred me in my walk.


After I graduated from high school I had no real direction so I attended a community college for a while. During that time I received my calling. I felt the Lord calling me to simply learn more about Him. I could not deny this burning desire. I figured the best place to do that was seminary. I moved 8 hours away to our denominations seminary and graduated with a BARS degree. I also met and married my pastor husband while in seminary, so yes, I am a pastors wife (and love it!) I am NOT an ordained pastor, I don't feel a call to be, but I do have a call to share His word in whatever way I can, be it through the written word or through speaking (although I don't get to do that a whole lot, it is as Jeremiah says 'a burning within my bones.')


About four years ago Andrew, Nadia and I went through one of the hardest things we've ever had to bear. Our previous house was literally falling down around us. The furnace would sometimes not turn on, we had a leaky roof and we had no money to fix any of it. It was discovered that we had a basketball size hole in the roof, which leaked into Nadia's room (she was just a baby) which subsequently led to black mold growing in-between the walls in her room. We had to live in someone else's house for the six weeks preceding Christmas. On top of that Andrew was desperately trying to find a pastorate. It was one closed door after another. It was one of the most depressing times in our life. But God carried us through all of that. The roof and furnace got fixed, and the insurance covered the mold remediation, which it wasn't supposed to, but because we had claimed the water damage first, the mold was under the previous claim, so they footed a $5000 bill. It was amazing. The bill to the ER (we all ended up in the ER the night we found the mold, sick as dogs.) was forgiven and we eventually got the house all patched up, looking better than before. We found a pastorate that we LOVE and the love us and through it all God guided every step we took, even though we felt forsaken and so very hurt. He was there.


I read through the bible last year for the first time. It was life changing. I can't wait to see how the Lord builds upon that and teaches me even more! I'm so excited! I need prayer to not become complacent in my reading. I'm fearful that I'll begin to just do my reading portions for this blog. I want to read it all, again. I'd really like to be able to bring up scripture and pray it like I hear so many other people do.

So that's me, in a nutshell.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks so much for sharing Kathryn. I did not know about the mold/house situation!! How did I miss that?! Anyway, it's amazing to see God providential hand at work in our lives isn't it?

I'm so excited that you're part of this blog and look forward to reading more from you!

Anonymous said...

I remember that! What a mess that was.... God rocks! It's always amazing to see His hand in our darkest hour.

Pamela said...

God is so good. Thanks for sharing.