Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1st, 2011!

Happy New Year and welcome to the first post of 2011! I am excited about the year ahead and can't wait to see what's in store.

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Genesis 1-3 in the OT and Matthew 1 in the NT.

There's so much that we could touch on in today's readings.

I find it just incredible that we serve the Creator of the universe. A Creator so powerful that simple words are enough for masterpieces like stars, planets, trees, flowers and mountains to be.

I wonder what it would've been like to be there, to experience the perfection of an unspoiled creation, to enjoy such intimate fellowship with God that you could hear Him walking amongst the trees.

And yet, despite the perfection, despite the beautiful fellowship - we chose sin instead. Just 3 chapters in and already humanity has fallen and they are sent out of the garden, to never again experience such perfection, such intimacy in their earthly lives.

From our Jesus Storybook Bible.....
Well, in another story, it would all be over and that would have been.... THE END.

But not in this Story.

God loved his children too much to let the story end there. Even though he knew he would suffer, God had a plan - a magnificent dream. One day, he would get his children back. One day, he would make the world their perfect home again. And one day, he would wipe away every tear from their eyes.

You see, no matter what, in spite of everything, God would love his children - with a Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love.

And though they would forget him, and run from him, deep in their hearts, God's children would miss him always, and long for him - lost children yearning for their home.

Before they left the garden, God whispered a promise to Adam and Eve: "It will not always be so! I will come to rescue you! And when I do, I'm going to do battle against the snake. I'll get rid of the sin and the dark and the sadness you let in here. I'm coming back for you!"

And he would. One day, God himself would come.

Isn't that beautiful?

And, thanks to our new reading plan, we were already able to read about Jesus' coming in Matthew! It's neat to read the two together like that.

What were some of your thoughts as you read today's passages?

Tomorrow's passage: Genesis 4-6, Matthew 2


9 comments:

tammi said...

I kinda had the same thoughts about reading Jesus' human beginning together with humanity's beginning.

I think, in a way, this reading plan will make posting a bit more of a challenge, but I'm looking forward to the variety.

Pamela said...

Two things I have always wondered:
1. How long were Adam and Eve in the garden before the snake tempted them? Was it days, weeks, years?

2. Why isn't Joseph angry when he learns of Mary's pregnancy? Maybe it is because I tend to be a (grudge holding person-I'm working on that!) but my first thought would't have been to "divorce her quietly" but to be angry after what would appear like the ultimate betrayal. What an honourable man to want to uphold Mary's dignity.

Another thing that stood out for me was that God chose woman as a suitable helper for man and they become as one flesh. I have been deeply saddened by marriages around me crumbling and this passage reminds me that this is not what God had planned for marriage. I have seen people become too independent -almost like being dependent on each other is a bad thing. I believe God designed marriage for each person to have their own strengths and when brought together, it creates a strong unity between the husband and wife. I am thankful for the reminder that this was God's plan right from the very beginning.

Tammy said...

I think posting will e easier for those times that the OT is tough and you can just go to the NT portion ;)

Pam, I've wondered the same things too.

Miriam said...

I, too, am already interested in what we will discover by reading a portion of the OT and NT together each day. Also, I'm pleased to realize that that genealogy in Matthew means more to me now that I've read the OT in its entirety. I recognize and remember some of the names.

Pam, I watched the movie The Nativity last week. In it, I was reminded that the penalty for what everyone believed Mary had done was stoning. I hesitate to speculate on Joseph's reasons for his decision, but I can imagine that if he did at least respect her, if not love her, then perhaps he wanted to spare her life more than he wanted everyone to know that he was innocent and she had betrayed him. It shows great character on his part... probably a good reason why he was chosen to raise God's Son during his childhood.

Alicia said...

We read the Gen section of this with our Children this evening. We talked about why God guarded Adam and Eve from the Tree of Life once they had sinned. It was an interesting conversation and my eldest daughter said her head hurt from thinking so hard.
Have any of you thought of why God did that? Why did he not just let them eat of it and solve his problem? Kind of like a scene from Alice in Wonderland "drink me" that makes you big and then small again. Why could he not let them have it?
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.
We did answer it for them, I'm just having fun picking your brains:)

Pamela said...

True, Miriam. Thanks.

Alicia-I've wondered that too. It seems that God almost sets them up for failure. Forbidden fruit is always more tempting so why have something forbidden in the first place? Wasn't it all made good? I know with my own kids, telling them they couldn't do something is just like asking them to try it. I guess we are all like that. I know that had I been Eve, the story would be the same. *sigh*

Alicia said...

Well, with the tree of life, God banned them and guarded them from eating it AFTER they had sinned by eating of the knowledge of good and evil. THat was the tree I was asking about.
It's interesting and new thing for me to ponder why He did not let them fix it by eating from the curing tree. It's late but I may just blog about this later. It's something I'd like to look up more.

Miriam said...

Ah, but then there's the expression "you can't unring a bell". I don't read anything that says the tree of life would have "cured" them. It says "He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." I don't know about anyone else, but I take that to mean that they would still know good from evil (and therefore have the choice to do evil), but also live forever in their sin. Anyone else see something I missed?

Tammy said...

I think you're right Miriam. God could not allow them to eat from the Tree of Life because now they were sinners and they had to pay for that by death.