Friday, January 14, 2011

Dana's Testimony

I have always lived in a Christian home, and I dedicated my life to Him when I was 7 years old. My parents were very involved in church and we never skipped a Sunday unless someone was really sick. It wasn’t until high school that my faith became my own.

I was on the ISCF exec from grades 9-12 meaning I had to prepare devotions and lead prayer. I grew during those times, but it was the annual retreats that helped the most. The last two years were different speakers from Southland and they taught us the importance of actually listening to God and knowing him on a deeper level. Those two weekends were very powerful.

The summer before grade 12 my eyes were opened to the world around me when I went on a youth missions trip with DOOR to Denver, Colorado. I got to see the true meaning of poverty and all the sad day care situations. Although most of the groups we worked with were non-Christians it was a great place to show God’s love to the children. The thing that encouraged me most was one day, as a group we were walking through the park when a homeless lady showed up with her shopping cart carrying the only items she owned. I don’t know how her faith really was, but she prayed with us, and then she reached into her bag and gave all 20 of us, one or two small coins. One girl even got a pair of earrings. This lady had almost nothing, yet what little she did have, she gave away. I was so encouraged, and yet it made me realize how selfish I can be.

I am so blessed to have found a godly husband. I got married eight months ago and am now a part of another awesome family that is really helping me to deepen my faith. They are such prayer warriors and I really look up to them. I now attend Southland Community Church with them and every Sunday I come away learning something new and fascinating!

Two months ago, both my husband and I were baptized together. Every night we read scripture and pray together. I am hoping this blog is going to give me the continued desire to dig deeper into God’s word and study it further. I have read the bible many times, but every time, something new jumps out at me. I am looking forward to the rest of this year!

Dana

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing. I have never been involved in a missions trip but I have heard that the experience is amazing. I pray that my kids will have the opportunity to.