Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 5, 2011 - Kathryn



Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Genesis 13-15, Matthew 5: 1-26 


Genesis is chocked full of great stories of normal people like you and me, who gave themselves over to God, but still struggled with their sinful nature. Abram is no different. He may have been the father of a nation, but he was still human at heart. Genesis 15:1 holds great promise to Abram. It states, After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.” Now God had just delivered Lot, through Abrams hand, from a handful of warring kings. These kings come to Abram asking for their people back. Kings come to a single man, to beg for their people. Abram must've been a powerful, imposing force that those kings did not want to deal with. Yet, in light of that, in the very next scripture God comes to Abram in a vision to reassure him of His promises. He reminds Abram that God alone is protector, God alone is the great reward, God alone is provider. And Abram, like we do, sees through human eyes and throws God's promise back in His face. “Where is this child you said I'd have? Where is the fulfillment of your promise?” So many times I have the promises of scripture, but my human heart fails me. I question His promises, even though they are so fresh and ready in His word. But God is understanding. He not only reassures him that yes, he will have a child from his own body, in vs. 4, but he also seals the deal through an amazing act that Abram will not soon forget or question.
It is extremely difficult to cut animals in half. It is also an extremely bloody, smelly mess. He had to do this three times to animals that were about half his size. It was a job. One I'm sure he knew how to do. It was disgusting by our standards today and I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant job back then either. Everytime anyone in the old testament sacrificed and animal, they had to deal with mess and smell. It was a constant reminder of how our sin is in God's eyes. When we are in sin, whether we are wallowing in it, or it is unknown to us, we are a stinky, disgusting mess. It is not a pleasant job cleaning us up. We have lost the image of sin being ugly, as my mother would say. The people of the old testament knew it well. Our sin is disgusting and it also costs us. Abram either had to buy these animals, take them from his own stock, or find them. Sin costs us. We cannot just freely sin and then take for granted what we have done when we ask for forgiveness. That sin cost someone something and it made a mess for someone to clean up. Something I need to think about when I sin. Who does this cost? What kind of a mess did I make? It's worth asking. Because forgiveness is necessary when we sin, yes, but what kind of clean up work can we do? How can we make things right between a brother or a sister when we sin?
Matthew 5:1-26 begins the sermon on the mount. The Beatitudes are a famous portion of scripture that many know about. But I'm not sure they are very popular. I mean being poor in spirit? Being persecuted? Being meek? Our culture today is not a very meek culture, nor do we promote people who are meek! We look up to those who are bold and outspoken. Well what does meek mean? According to Merriam-Webster it means :enduring injury with patience and without resentment, deficient in spirit and courage, not violent or strong. Hmm, who wants to be know as weak? Not me, but I do believe that all of these descriptions of a follower of Christ connect to the next verses about being the salt and light. The beatitudes fly in the face of all culture. You could say, they are counter-cultural. You could say they are new, different, healing, refreshing. When people see these different behaviors, it is a light to a different way of living. People will wonder why you are different. They will ask. I believe when we are different and unique as Christ calls us to be, we are then the light and salt that the world needs. It is an open door to leading others to Christ. But how easy is it to do these behaviors? Oh it's hard. It is a lifelong walk and there is grace. There is also the promise of vs 6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled”. What promise we have that He will fulfill our desires. So pray, desire righteousness and He will fill you.

Blessings today as you search out His word and His will for your life.  

Tomorrow's passage:  Genesis 16-17, Matthew 5:27-48

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Great post. Sin does cost us and I think it is too easy to forget that.

tammi said...

I really appreciate your look at the smell of sacrifice. I'm not sure I've ever considered the stench and made the application to sin ~ very true. I've been around dead deer during hunting season and it isn't pretty or good-smelling, that's for sure! And though I've always known sacrifices required buying or "donating" an animal, I never really thought of it further than that ~ that the cost is an illustration of a deeper principle.

Great thoughts ~ wonderful first post! Thanks so much for joining us!!

Miriam said...

I never contemplated the smelliness or mess of sacrifice much either, only in a very superficial way. Excellent comparison to how God sees our sin. Great post.

My favourite verse from today's reading was Genesis 15:6 - Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness. Abram didn't get it right all the time, and neither do we, but he believed God. One of the things I'm working on is trusting that God knows what's best for me, so I need to follow His will.

Jody said...

Love, love this post. Really giving me a lot to think about. The messy, smelly cost of sin. Wow. So very true.

Tammy said...

I, too, really appreciate your insight about the messiness and smelliness of sin, and that someone has to clean up that mess! So much of our sin costs those around us, and even when it only affects us - it is still incredibly offensive to our holy God!

Thanks so much Kathryn for this post - your first of many great ones to come I know, so glad you joined us!

Sarah said...

OK...jumping in here with today. Sorry I didn't post yet, I forgot the link and every time I thought to look for it I got distracted. Thanks Tammy for the reminder and link today!!!

I have done read throughs before, and I decided that this time I wanted to read through in a specific translation...The Complete Jewish Bible. It takes everything from a different way of looking at it...from a Jewish point of view. Really changes the way I have seen a few things already. If anyone else is interested in this translation, you can find it online here... http://www.biblestudytools.com/cjb/

Also, one Jewish teacher that I have listened to talked about the Abrahamic covenant if anyone is interested in listening...audio is here starting about 16:00 minutes in....
http://www.box.net/shared/ak5z986bfu

(dinner time...have to come back and post more later)