Monday, March 26, 2018

Monday, March 26: Judges 1-3, Luke 9:1-27 by Pamela

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Judges 1-3, Luke 9:1-27

The Lord commanded the Israelites to drive the people out. But verse after verse tells us that they did not do it. There were long lasting consequences for their disobedience:

“I brought you up from Egypt and brought you into the land that I swore to give to your fathers. I said, ‘I will never break my covenant with you, and you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall break down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed my voice. What is this you have done? So now I say, I will not drive them out before you, but they shall become thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare to you."

How often do we too, disobey what God has commanded us. Do not lie, do not gossip, do not covet, do not be slaves to greed, lust, dishonesty.... Love your neighbour as yourself, turn the other cheek, forgive....and so many others. There are long lasting consequences for our disobedience against God too. Just like the Israelites that were swayed by these other nations to worship their gods, we too can be swayed by the ways of the world when we don't follow God's instructions.

In the NT, today's readings reminded me of something I heard recently. Satan first tempted Jesus at his weakness. After 40 days of fasting, Satan's first temptation was the offer of bread. Jesus must have been hungry. The temptation would not have seemed so appetizing if Jesus had just consumed a large meal. Satan will also tempt us where we are the weakest. It's the easiest thing to mess up on during a moment of weakness. We need to arm ourselves against the things that we struggle with so that we are not tempted.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageJudges 4-6, Luke 9:28-62

1 comment:

Tammy said...

A great reminder to be on guard when we are feeling weak.