Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Wednesday, February 8th: Leviticus 4-5, Matthew 24: 29-51 ~ Nathan

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Leviticus 4-5, Matthew 24: 29-51

In our Old Testament reading today we read about how the Israelites had to offer an animal that had no defect, from their livestock, as an offering for their sin, intentional or unintentional. This was a direct hit to their personal worth (and/or food source) and took time to do.

When I consider how we would do this today, it made me think that I would have a hard time giving up the time it took as well as the valuable property it took. Made me thankful that Jesus came and died for me so that I can rather go to Him in prayer and ask for forgiveness. But more importantly, it made me think that it is no small thing to forgive my sins and can't just be a quick prayer then over. I need to give thanks for this special thing that God does for me, it is no small deed.

Sometimes we do suffer a penalty for our sins here on earth, there are still consequences, but we still need to be thankful for His forgiveness because it's crucial. If we don't go to Jesus to ask for forgiveness, the sin is still there. If we don't, then do we really believe and trust in Him?

Makes me take asking for forgiveness, and being thankful for it, more seriously. I am thankful that Jesus died for my sins, that I can then be forgiven when I go to Him and ask for forgiveness, and look forward to being with Him in heaven one day.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Leviticus 6-7; Matthew 25:1-30

3 comments:

Conrad said...

Whether intentionally or by mistake, sin is sin and it needs to be dealt with. Thankfully we have been given the gift of salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ!

Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. - Matthew 24:44

When reading the NT passage, the thought that came to me is the only thing worse than sinning, would be to fall to temptation at the exact moment when Jesus returns or calls us Home.

Unknown said...

Matthew 24:39-41

“It will be the same when the Son of Man comes. 40 Two men will be working together in the field. One will be taken and the other will be left. 41 Two women will be grinding grain with a mill. One will be taken and the other will be left.

These verses remind me that even though I am a Christian it doesn't mean that everyone else is, therefore my friends might not come with me to heaven so I should tell them the story of Jesus.

kjad said...

In the Old Testament passage, many times it was said that although the sin may have been committed unintentionally, it's still a sin. We are still guilty. We are still in need of forgiveness. Fortunately, Jesus provides us with a way to be be forgiven, and all we have to do is ask.