Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Tuesday, November 15th: Acts 17:1-18:11, 1 Thessalonians 1-3 ~ Danae

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Acts 17:1-18:11, 1 Thessalonians 1-3

We continue reading, today, of Paul’s journey & his teachings.

What hit me today while reading was Paul’s urgency in spreading God’s word & that being his life's mission.

I can't say that I spend my days continually spreading the message of God or thinking of who or where I need to minister next.  I mean, I try to live as an example of God in me, but “evangelism” isn't first on my mind.

Why not?
This is actually something that has been on my mind lately. I think that we can get so caught up in living & enjoying today that we fail to remember that happiness/pleasure shouldn't necessarily be our primary aim in life. (I say this cautiously because I do believe that God wants us to find enjoyment in his blessings too.) We live without eternity on our minds. While we know that one day God will come, the world will end & we will go to heaven, it isn't part of our day to day reality.  I think that we forget the urgency that Paul had to reach everyone because in some ways it feels like it's not even real.

1 Thessalonians 1-
8 The Lord’s message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia—your faith in God has become known everywhere. Therefore we do not need to say anything about it, 9 for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10 and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.

Acts 17-
31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

God promises us in his word that he is coming back at which point he will judge the world. It is a reality. I think it's a good reminder today & maybe an opportunity for us to stop & consider those in our lives & around us who don't know Christ & to place in us an urgency to reach them.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage:  1 Thessalonians 4-5, 2 Thessalonians 1-3

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I too haven't felt that urgency, and have worked to enjoy life knowing that in the end I will be with Jesus because I've dedicated my life to Him. A good reminder to be more focused on Him and less on my own goals, putting God's plan first.

Tammy said...

So true Danae. I read a great post from my cousin on his "Give the Word" ministry page on Facebook about exactly this.....

People will often ask me, How do I start a spiritual conversation with a stranger? How do I take an opportunity to give a Bible away? How do I go about sharing the Gospel with someone?
There are many ways to do this, many effective ways infact. But here's my thought on this from personal and outside experience. When you take a look at Jesus' ministry, Jesus often preceded his gospel message with an act of service or a miracle.
Be a miracle in someone's life.
Pay for someone's $100 bill of groceries at the grocery store. Give a waitress/waiter an unrealistic amount of money as a tip. Shovel a neighbors driveway 10 times in a row without them asking for help. Help a family in need at Christmas time with gifts for their kids and buy them good gifts, pay for a whole family's meal at a restaurant that you don't even know, sacrifice your time to visit stranger in a rest home on a regular basis....do something so crazy to make them ask you "Why are you doing this for me?". Be someone's miracle..it will open the door for your to share the Gospel 99% of the time. Being Kingdom minded takes sacrifice. Sacrifice your time, your energy and your money and your well will never run dry.
When we meet someone's need in a big way, the first question is WHY. Why would you do this for me? You don't even know me!
This will give you a window to share the Gospel because they see God's LOVE and witness God's LOVE before you tell them about God's LOVE.
The opportunities are endless. Go and take one and repeat!!
Be ready to give them an answer for the Hope that you have in Christ. Need a Bible to give away? Just ask...it's what we are here for.