Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Wednesday, August 3rd: Isaiah 60-63 ~ Nathan

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Isaiah 60-63

Today's portion of scripture is told at a time when the Jews are coming back from captivity and returning to their homeland. It is a time of great joy.

I looked into this (Bible.Org) and the return of the Jews relates to what's told in the New Testament. The Jews had been in bondage but were now set free, and excited about their freedom. In the New Testament the bondage is sin and death, and the deliverance is spiritual and eternal, a cause for great excitement. Once again the Old and New testaments tie together and work with each other.

The Jews were happy to be leaving bondage, but with that came making an effort to do right (better) this time. It was a time of great joy that also lead to some self reflection about the past.

When I sin, do I make a solid effort to do better the next time? Or do I just ask for forgiveness, forget it happened, then make the same mistake next time and start the cycle over again?

I pray that God would make me aware of the sins I am likely to repeat and give me the strength and desire not to.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Isaiah 64-66




2 comments:

Conrad said...

For he said, "Surely they are my people, children who will not deal falsely." And he became their Savior. - Isaiah 63:8

We had a Saviour before we knew we needed one. I pray that I will not take our Saviour for granted by simply asking for forgiveness and not backing it up with the desire and determination to change my wrongful ways.

Tammy said...

Love the connection between the OT and NT.

Isaiah 61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me,
for the Lord has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
and to proclaim that captives will be released
and prisoners will be freed.[b]
2 He has sent me to tell those who mourn
that the time of the Lord’s favor has come,[c]
and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies.
3 To all who mourn in Israel,[d]
he will give a crown of beauty for ashes,
a joyous blessing instead of mourning,
festive praise instead of despair.
In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
that the Lord has planted for his own glory.

I love the hope in these verses.