Saturday, July 9, 2016

Saturday, July 9th: Psalm 1-2, 10, 33, 66 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Psalm 1-2, 10, 33, 66

Psalm 1 is one of my favourites, and is the first chapter of the Bible (well, other than Psalm 23) that I memorized in its entirety.  It clearly contrasts the differences between the faithful and the wicked. Reading it makes me resolve again not to follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers.  Instead, I want to live my life in such a way that it is noticeably different from those around me.  If we live what we say we believe, our lives should be visibly different.  Is mine?  Is yours?

Psalm 10 expands on the idea that the wicked have mistaken God's patience for His approval or indifference.  Not so!  The wicked will be held to account, justice will prevail, God's patience will come to an end - and then it will be too late to change.

The same principle holds true for believers as well.  Today is the day we must do whatever it is we've been putting off until tomorrow. We are not promised tomorrow.  We must put things right today.

Psalm 33:3 always jumps out at me.
Sing a new song of praise to him; play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy.

My piano teacher referenced that verse numerous times.  Why?  Notice the word skillfully.  God does not entrust us with talents just for us to let them lie dormant, or to be poor stewards of our gifts.  We are not just to randomly and lazily use the talents He's given us.  We are to develop them.  We are to play skillfully.  For His glory though, not our own.

Psalm 66:2
Tell the world how glorious he is.

Well, that's pretty basic, pretty blunt, pretty direct.  Tell the world.  When's the last time I've told someone... anyone (!) how glorious God is?

Some toe stepping was going on for me in today's passage.  What about you?

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassagePsalm 67, 71, 91-94

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Psalm 66:15
That is why I am sacrificing burnt offerings to you—
the best of my rams as a pleasing aroma,
and a sacrifice of bulls and male goats.

The part in line 2, "the best of my rams...", caught my attention. Do I give my best to God, or just what I have in abundance that's good? A good reminder to me that I need to put God first in every way in my life.

Conrad said...

"But the plan of the Lord stands firm forever, the purposes of His heart through all generations." Psalm. 33:11

God's plan does not change and He has a given each of us a purpose to fulfill. Even though I know this, I sometimes find myself trying to make the plan, rather than following His plan.