Friday, July 15, 2016

Friday July 15th: Psalms 119 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Psalm 119

Sorry for the late posting.......

Well, if I wanted to write out all the verses that stood out to me I could have copied and pasted almost the entire Psalm, but I won't do that.

"You have laid down precepts  that are to be fully obeyed."  Psalm 119:4

God has given us laws for our benefit that need to be followed.  In verse 9 the question is asked "How can a young man keep his way pure?"  The following verses answer the question:

Seeking Him (vs 10), keeping His Word hidden in our hearts (vs 11), allowing ourselves to be taught (vs 12), recounting the laws (vs 13), rejoicing in following the laws (vs 14), meditating (vs 15), and not neglecting the laws (vs 16).

In full, verse 11 reads, "I have hidden your Word in my heart that I may not sin against you."  Taking this verse and the other 6 listed above, it is evident that it is only by the power of the Word of God that we can refrain from sinning.  We will not be able to do this on our own strength.  And, this is an everyday routine.  We need to act out these verses on a daily basis.  

"It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." Psalm 119:71

Nothing seems to make us more receptive to God than a little adversity.  Adversity is not something I find enjoyable, but it is in the difficult times that we can look back after and see how much we have matured.

"Your Word, O Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the Heavens."  Psalm 119:89

Eternal........something that is hard for me to fully comprehend, especially because we live in a "throw away" society.  Our lives are short, perishable food even shorter.  Even rocks and land are eroded away, but this verse promises the permanence of God's Word!

The second part of this verse tells us that God's Word is sanding firm in Heaven.  It is reassuring to know that His Word stands firm and does not change or move.  It is much harder and more frustrating trying to hit a moving target as opposed to one staying in the same spot.      

"I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word." (vs 101)

Sounds simple, but very important.

"Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." (vs 105)

This verse gives us believers confidence in knowing exactly what God expects from us.  It is wonderful to know that God has given us this book for direction on our paths.

"Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble." (vs 165)

To me that sounds pretty awesome.
  
This psalm is a good read and instills confidence in the Bible that we use as our guide for our daily walk.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Psalm 120, 121, 123, 125, 128, 129

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Great thoughts Conrad.

V7b I will thank you by living as I should!

Our obedience to God should come out of a heart overflowing with thankfulness for all He has done for us.

Nathan said...

Psalm 119:72
The law from your mouth is more precious to me
than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

Often now a days we look up to those with more money than us, and show them greater respect because of it. This verse shows, and tells me, that the law from God is more important than all the riches of this world. A good reminder of what's truly important!