Saturday, May 28, 2016

Saturday, May 29: Proverbs 11-14 ~ Emma

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Proverbs 11-14

Sorry, this is late, we had some troubles posting.

A few verses stood out to me in today's passage:

A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays calm when insulted. - Proverbs 12:16

This is a struggle for me. My first instinct when someone insults me is to defend myself in a not-so-kind way. This does not match up to the phrase "what would Jesus do?" That's what I often need to remind myself when someone is insulting me, or in any situation. Jesus would act out of love. Insulting that person back, and starting an argument? Probably not what Jesus would do. 

Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. - Proverbs 12:25

There are many little things we can do or say that could make someone's day, or cheer them up. Making eye contact with someone you pass in the hallway and giving them a smile, asking someone how they day was and actually caring about their answer, opening doors for people, saying "sorry" when you bump into someone, and many more things.

Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything. - Proverbs 13:3

How many times have I said something and while saying it realised it wasn't something I should say? And how many times have I tried to make it better by saying something else which really made it worse? This would be a very long blog post if I explained all the times I've done that. Coming from a talkative family (😉), I often speak without thinking, and this has gotten me into trouble many a time. It's something God is teaching me; be slow to speak, and quick to listen.

Father, help us to be slow to speak, and quick to listen. Help us to remember "what would Jesus do?" And help us to encourage somebody in a small way this week, because we know You can take anything and turn it into something amazing.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageProverbs 15-18

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Great post Emma. Those verses are all striking and I appreciated your comments to go with it!