Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday, May 13th: Psalm 86, 101, 103, 108-109 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Psalm 86, 101, 103, 108-109

"Teach me your way, Lordthat I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart,
    that I may fear your name."  Psalm 86:11


This verse reminded me to understand that is our choice to live a separated, committed Christian life in a godless world.  We need to make this choice daily.  It is not like a tap that we can turn and off.  We need to establish uninterrupted communications with God, and this blog is only a part of that communication that we need to be doing daily.  

To teach someone is to impart or to provide a knowledge or skill for something.  In order for someone to be taught, they will require instruction, education, training, or even discipline.  David is asking to be taught.  For me the part I dislike in being taught, is the discipline.  I tend to become defensive in situations of learning when I make a mistake, and this closes my ability to learn.  If I want to be a student of God, I need to know that I will make mistakes, but that is part of learning.

"The perverse of heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with what is evil." Psalm 101:4

David is expressing his desire in this verse to be fully committed to God, which is required if we want to be taught His ways.  

Like us, David was a sinner and not perfect.  Despite his shortcomings, David was still described as being a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22).  What's exciting about this, is that in view of God's regard to David, no matter what our past may include, God is faithful to those that seek His forgiveness.  This brings me to Psalm 103: 11-12: 

"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west, 
so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

This is an excellent verse indicating the extent of God's forgiveness.  God shows us mercy beyond what we deserve.  David understands that he has sinned, and his gratitude is obvious with his words in this verse.  Do we take for granted how great our God is, and how tolerant He is when we fall short?  

When we fear God, there are eternal implications.  Psalm 103:17 says, "But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children—."

Who wouldn't want that for their children, or their children's children?  David asked the Lord for teaching so that he would rely on God's faithfulness, and an undivided heart so that he would fear the Lord.  This is my prayer today. 

Proverbs 9:10 says that "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding".  

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Psalm 110, 122, 124, 131, 133

2 comments:

Nathan said...

When being given taught, I too become defensive when shown the mistakes I've made, I try to make excusses instead of listening and admitting my mistakes. I pray for a change of attitude and a willingness to be corrected, in order to become the person God wants.



Psalm 103:10
he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.

Thankful for this, or we would all be doomed forever. Thankful for His forgiveness.

Psalm 108:12
Give us aid against the enemy,
for human help is worthless.

Only God can truly help us. Any help we get is God given, whether it be through another human, or circumstance.

Tammy said...

The same verses stood out to me, including Psalm 108:12 that Nathan mentioned.

So thankful for His unfathomable love and all-encompassing forgiveness.

One thing I like about reading Psalms is coming across verses you recognize from songs we sing. "Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds!"