Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tuesday - May 27 - Tiffany

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is 2 Samuel 23-24; Psalm 105; Acts 16
Today's scripture focus is Gen 3:8-13

Genesis 3:8-13

English Standard Version (ESV)
And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?” 10 And he said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” 11 He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” 12 The man said, “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.” 13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this that you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

Nobody really wants to take the blame for what they did, do they? Adam and Eve both know they've done wrong, and yet they find someone else to blame. As MacArthur says, it is a 180 degree change in their attitude towards God caused by ONE sin. ONE sin and they are instantly changed forever.

Rather depressing, isn't it? And though God knew they had sinned, He already KNEW, He came looking for them anyway.

That is the hope in this hopeless story. Despite our sins, despite our failings, God comes searching for us. He still desires a relationship with us.
All we have to do is repent, turn our back on the sin in our lives, and turn to God.
 
 
Tomorrow's scripture focus: Gen 3:14-15
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: 1 Kings 1-2; Psalm 106; Acts 17

2 comments:

Tammy said...

It is depressing.

But what is so awesome about this is that it's our first display of God's grace. He didn't strike them dead and wipe humanity off the planet. He extended grace, even giving them opportunity to repent - which, of course, they refused.

God's grace is so humbling.

Curly-T said...

Very true! Thank you!