Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday, Oct. 13 ~ Miriam

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Micah 6-7; Acts 22.

Well, I have a confession to make.  I haven't done a reading since my last post.  I don't really have any good excuse.  The weekend was busy and I've had a lot going on the last couple of weeks all over, however going on the principle that Bible reading is a priority and I need to make time for it rather than just do it when I have time -- which seems to be never -- that is not a good enough reason.  I'm feeling mentally and emotionally drained the last couple of days, and I'm not sure if that's why I haven't been reading or if that's because I haven't been reading.

Anyway, a verse in Micah 6 stood out to me today, mainly because it's recognizable as a worship song.  Micah 6:8 -
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly[a] with your God.



Sometimes it seems like the list of things we have to do and not do seems so long and intimidating that I feel like I just don't even want to try anymore.  I know that is the wrong attitude, and it doesn't last long, but sometimes it just feels like it's all futile.  We try and try and try again, and try some more, and no matter what we do we just can't get it right.  So why bother with any of it?  And then I read verses like the one above, or Matthew 22:37-40, which says 
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Two or three things.  Yes, those two or three things cover a whole lot of individual things, but it makes me feel less overwhelmed.  If you consider these verses that condense all the dos and don'ts into an all-encompassing spirit, or attitude, or whatever term you choose to express it, it seems much more possible to live a good Christian life.  Not a perfect, sinless life.  Not self-made salvation.  Just a good, loving, Christian example.

That's all I've got today.  I'm sorry if I didn't express myself well... I'm feeling incoherent.  Happy Thursday!


 Tomorrow's passage:  Nahum 1-3; Acts 23:1-15.

No comments: