Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday, October 24 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is: Jeremiah 18-19, Colossians 3
Happy Monday Everyone!!

I must confess along the same lines as Tammy regarding my reading and following on the blog. I have been taking a course at church over the last month that has daily homework and I end up spending almost 1 hour a day working through the homework (which is listening prayer and "Hearing God"). It's been super interesting and very exciting, but I just have not been able to keep up with the commitment of this blog. I am so sorry to all of you who read and post everyday that I have not been on top of commenting and appreciating the wisdom you have been sharing.

On that note, please also forgive this late post!!

Colossians 3 is so awesome. Seriously - our life as Christians are just neatly tied up in this chapter. Specifically 3:1-17:

1. Look to God first and always
2. By doing that you will not give life and worth to the useless things of this world
3. Because we are loved and made holy through this love from God, we will walk out this love to those around us through every action we take
4. And all of this - every piece of it must be done in the name of Jesus Christ.

I love how the instructions for Holy Living are sandwiched between the 2 most important commands:

3:1"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God."
3:17 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him"

If we set our hearts on God and filter every action, word or deed through the name of Jesus with a thankful heart - we will achieve the closest thing to holy living that we can on this earth. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with my inadequacies and shortcomings as a child of God. So frustrated that I constantly fail. Then, I read a chapter like this and I realize - all that is required is setting my heart on HIM and HE will do the work in me.

Praying a great week for all of you!
J

Tomorrow's passage: Jeremiah 20, Jeremiah 35-36, Colossians 4

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Great post, Jody! I use pencil crayons to mark things in my Bible, and my Colossians chapter 3 is now more colourful than it was yesterday. :)

Tammy said...

This is an awesome chapter isn't it? I felt like every verse I read jumped out at me! :)

Love the beginning and end framework to tie it all together. Thanks Jody.